Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

1998 GSX Carb Question

I have picked up a 98 GSX Ski in many pieces. I have about got it all together and ready to go. I have a problem though. The set of carbs that came with the ski were frozen up and trashed. A new set of carbs were included with the ski when i bought it. I have assurd all the correct jets are in the new carbs, and pop off is set to 21 on both also. The issue is that the OLD carbs had a hose coming out of both covers that go over the needle& seat side of the carbs that connected to both carbs and have a hose that goes??? the NEW carbs I have do not have the nipples coming out of each cover. So there is no where to hook the hose on them. Does this hose on the old ones possibly link to the Rave Vavles ?? Or there is also a nipple fitting on the bottom of the block by the Starter that looks like a hose should be hooked too.... Should I use the old covers? The Accelerator Pump is attatched to one of the covors so I would have to use that also off the old ones. If this hose is not needed, I would rather not use it due to I want to use the new accelerator pump. Anyone have an Idea of what Im talking about? The engine is a 947. Thanks in advance!

flyin' the friendly skies airbornexp's Avatar
    +1
    I think....post some pix please

+1
    Hopefully an illustration might help you out
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2319_0027.gif 
Views:	77 
Size:	31.3 KB 
ID:	180709  

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by ktyamaha36 View Post
    I have picked up a 98 GSX Ski in many pieces. I have about got it all together and ready to go. I have a problem though. The set of carbs that came with the ski were frozen up and trashed. A new set of carbs were included with the ski when i bought it. I have assurd all the correct jets are in the new carbs, and pop off is set to 21 on both also. The issue is that the OLD carbs had a hose coming out of both covers that go over the needle& seat side of the carbs that connected to both carbs and have a hose that goes??? the NEW carbs I have do not have the nipples coming out of each cover. So there is no where to hook the hose on them. Does this hose on the old ones possibly link to the Rave Vavles ?? Or there is also a nipple fitting on the bottom of the block by the Starter that looks like a hose should be hooked too.... Should I use the old covers? The Accelerator Pump is attatched to one of the covors so I would have to use that also off the old ones. If this hose is not needed, I would rather not use it due to I want to use the new accelerator pump. Anyone have an Idea of what Im talking about? The engine is a 947. Thanks in advance!
    Sounds like you have a 97.5 GSXL w/ a set of 97.5 GSXL carbs that are in need of major work and a set of 98+ carbs. In order to use the 98 carbs, you will not use the extra hoses, but you will need to change out your throttle cable, oil cable and make sure you have the 2 connector plate on your carbs to accept the 2 cables (98 style)-- you will end up w/ 1 extra rave solinoid when done properly I forget if your choke cable can be minupulated to work on the 98s-- may need a 98 choke cable too. While you have it all apart I would recommend updating the water routing to the 98+.

I have a very nice set of 97.5 carbs and LOTS of other 97.5 parts that you may be interested in-- pm me.

Ive attatched a few pics of what im Dealing with. Jim, What did the hoses coming off those plates connect to originally?? What was their purpose and how will the ski run correctly if I do not put them on the new carbs? The Throttle and choke cable brackets were already all swapped around when i got the ski, The new carbs were actually on the ski, but all the fuel lines were hooked up backwards and some not even connected I would like to make this as simple as possible. As far as I will have one less rave valve?? Which rave valve would I be doing away with?? What a mess...This is a 98 GSX Limited ski. No clue as to what the new carbs are. I know they are slightly different on the fuel line Inputs and outputs...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0763.JPG 
Views:	44 
Size:	2.34 MB 
ID:	180720   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0764.JPG 
Views:	45 
Size:	2.64 MB 
ID:	180721   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0765.JPG 
Views:	42 
Size:	2.53 MB 
ID:	180722   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0766.JPG 
Views:	40 
Size:	2.57 MB 
ID:	180723  

BTW the sticker below the fuel knob when you remove the seat says 29/05/97 So Im guessing your correct Jim..this Ski would be a 97.5!

Ok, so Started on it again this morning and heres where Im at. I have the NEW 98 Carbs ready to bolt up to the engine. I have all the brackets on the carbs in the correct place so I can hook up the Throttle and choke Cables. Oil pump cable is already hooked up. I understand I will be deleting one of the RAVE Solenoids. And im ASSUMING it will be the one in the bottom left pic i posted, Hanging next to the Exaust Pipe. The only thing im Stumped with now is how to PROPERLY do away with that solenoid. there is another hose coming off the other side of that solenoid. and 1 open end on the other side. What about the nipple on the bottom of the block next to the starter (Pic 4 bottom right side)? Could someone give me an idea of how I should route these hoses? As soon as I figure that out I should be good to go!!

+1
    Ok, so Started on it again this morning and heres where Im at. I have the NEW 98 Carbs ready to bolt up to the engine. I have all the brackets on the carbs in the correct place so I can hook up the Throttle and choke Cables. Oil pump cable is already hooked up. I understand I will be deleting one of the RAVE Solenoids. And im ASSUMING it will be the one in the bottom left pic i posted, Hanging next to the Exaust Pipe. The only thing im Stumped with now is how to PROPERLY do away with that solenoid. there is another hose coming off the other side of that solenoid. and 1 open end on the other side. What about the nipple on the bottom of the block next to the starter (Pic 4 bottom right side)? Could someone give me an idea of how I should route these hoses? As soon as I figure that out I should be good to go!!
    Yes, in pic no. 3 the solenoid is not used and neither are the lines to or from it. 1 goes to the exterior of the haul-- make sure to plug that 1 off.

Jim, thanks for the help! One more Question, I have 2 lines laying down by the starter that need to go somewhere. One is clear, Which goes up to the front of the ski and out of the hull (Pisser). The other is Black and goes around the engine and connects to the other RAVE solenoid. There is a Nipple on the block right below the Pulse line. What line goes there? Im not sure if that nipple is for water or a pressure line... And do I need to disconnect that unused rave solenoid and plug the other line hooked to it?

+1
    Jim, thanks for the help! One more Question, I have 2 lines laying down by the starter that need to go somewhere. One is clear, Which goes up to the front of the ski and out of the hull (Pisser). The other is Black and goes around the engine and connects to the other RAVE solenoid. There is a Nipple on the block right below the Pulse line. What line goes there? Im not sure if that nipple is for water or a pressure line... And do I need to disconnect that unused rave solenoid and plug the other line hooked to it?
    The clear would be for the battery vent and the black line connects to the nipple on the case below the pulse fitting-- the other end goes to the functioning rave solenoid.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information