Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

New Ski - What are the basics I need

Hello all, first post here. I just got a 2008 RXT 215 last weekend. Brand new from the dealer with 0 hours on it. Now I have ridden jet ski's in the past and know just a little about them. I've read some of the sticky posts here to try and answer some of my own questions first, however I am hoping that your collective knowledge can get me off to a safe start.

I am getting the trailer and ski registration taken care of tomorrow. Friday I have off and the weather is supposed to be great so I plan on taking it out. I do know that there is a 10 hour break in period so I plan to get that done as quickly as possible and per the break in "instructions"

I have put a boat in the water and taken it out of the dock years ago. But I've read here that jet ski's can be a little tricky since when started they want to go forward.

1) What is the best procedure for trailering/docking and in and out of the water? (start while on trailer in water then off and manually pull to dock? then drive my truck and park? Where should I leave my ski parked/tied to dock?)

I guess first though...

2) What do I need on board? Safety-wise and good to have wise (headed to the marine supply store tomorrow for fire ext, flare, etc.)

3) What pre-lake/pre-starting of jet ski checks should I make? (drain plugs, etc)

4) How do I hook and where do I hook my garden hose to for flushing or making sure the ski starts before taking it out? Is there a time limit I should watch before over heating?

5) What is this exhaust tube pintch I need in case of having to be towed? Where is this located?

6) Sorry for all of the questions. Just a new owner here and I want to make sure I don't ruin my jet ski, remain safe, know the proper rules at the dock, and don't make a fool of myself.

I'm no idiot, it's just been awhile since I've had my family's boat out (10+ years) and well, that is completly different from a jet ski.

If there is anything else you would like to provide your advice or experience on I am all ears.

Oh, and last thing...is it even worth it for me to have the retractable ski pylon installed?

2008 RXT 215

Thanks

+1
    Welcome to the forum

If you do a search on all the questions that you've asked, you will find your answers easier and quicker

Thanks... I have been searching around for quite some time but it appears Seadoo forums aren't as robust in information as jeep forums. An obvious thing as well as there are thousands more jeep owners out there and there is always something to fix or dump money into. Maybe I had too many questions with too many answers. Since most are probably self explanatory now that I re-read them or figure it out on your own I was more looking for some don’t do this or in my experience this would help. I've read the sticky's too. No worries, I’ll figure it all out.

Lake Wylie SC by the way if anyone is out that way this weekend.

flyin' the friendly skies airbornexp's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by DieselTroy View Post
    Hello all, first post here. I just got a 2008 RXT 215 last weekend. Brand new from the dealer with 0 hours on it. Now I have ridden jet ski's in the past and know just a little about them. I've read some of the sticky posts here to try and answer some of my own questions first, however I am hoping that your collective knowledge can get me off to a safe start.

I am getting the trailer and ski registration taken care of tomorrow. Friday I have off and the weather is supposed to be great so I plan on taking it out. I do know that there is a 10 hour break in period so I plan to get that done as quickly as possible and per the break in "instructions"

I have put a boat in the water and taken it out of the dock years ago. But I've read here that jet ski's can be a little tricky since when started they want to go forward.

1) What is the best procedure for trailering/docking and in and out of the water? (start while on trailer in water then off and manually pull to dock? then drive my truck and park? Where should I leave my ski parked/tied to dock?)
    Drive it like a boat. before you get to the ramp, load everything you want to take with you on it and not at the ramp. put it in the water,unstrap it. start it , back it off, drive to the dock, or beach and tie up if your alone. other wise have a friend park the truck while your on the ski waiting to pick him/her up at the dock. DO NOT use the dock as a parking place.

I guess first though...

2) What do I need on board? Safety-wise and good to have wise (headed to the marine supply store tomorrow for fire ext, flare, etc.)
    should come with a fire extingusiher. as for the rest it depends where you ride. you will need a safety whistle...thats required. cheaper than a flair

3) What pre-lake/pre-starting of jet ski checks should I make? (drain plugs, etc)
    make sure the plug is in the bottom of the ski. battery is strong, fuel, oil level( fill if 2 stroke) make sure all steering components work properly

4) How do I hook and where do I hook my garden hose to for flushing or making sure the ski starts before taking it out? Is there a time limit I should watch before over heating?

if your running it for long periods of time you will need the hose but if you are just firing it up to make sure that the battery is good you dont need to worry about that

5) What is this exhaust tube pintch I need in case of having to be towed? Where is this located?

you need to pinch the water IN line

6) Sorry for all of the questions. Just a new owner here and I want to make sure I don't ruin my jet ski, remain safe, know the proper rules at the dock, and don't make a fool of myself.

I'm no idiot, it's just been awhile since I've had my family's boat out (10+ years) and well, that is completly different from a jet ski.

If there is anything else you would like to provide your advice or experience on I am all ears.

Oh, and last thing...is it even worth it for me to have the retractable ski pylon installed?

you plan on pulling skiers?

2008 RXT 215

Thanks
    This should get you started

Thanks for the reply Airborne...

...on your questions...I would like to pull a wakeboarder (or have someone tow me) and also plan on getting a tube to pull friends occasionally with) ...so yes. Most often though I will probably just be out and meeting up with friends on the lake and tying up to their boats.

See-yaa - I did some "better" searches this time around have found more of my answers. I suppose my key words were a little too specific

+1
    Welcome to the Hulk

flyin' the friendly skies airbornexp's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by DieselTroy View Post
    Thanks for the reply Airborne...

...on your questions...I would like to pull a wakeboarder (or have someone tow me) and also plan on getting a tube to pull friends occasionally with) ...so yes. Most often though I will probably just be out and meeting up with friends on the lake and tying up to their boats.
    I would just stick with the hook that is already on the back unless you really want to get the pylon.

+1
    If you are going to be pulling a wakeboarder quite a bit I would consider the pylon, I have a Wake edition that has one installed from the factory. Keep in mind depending on your state's laws, you are required to have a spotter. The oem pylon comes in handy for the spotter. Trying to hold on backwards isn't pleasant at tiimes. And under no circumstances should you attach a tow rope for an inflatable to the pylon.

Quote Originally Posted by gators8 View Post
    And under no circumstances should you attach a tow rope for an inflatable to the pylon.
    May I ask why not? I just got my first PWC ('06 Wake 155) last October. Haven't had the chance to pull a tube yet. I have one though. Really interested to know why not.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information