Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Advice please

Advice please

Hey gang! Looking for suggestions and advice on what to do. I'm purchasing a '07 Kawasaki Ultra 250x used with only 28 hours and was told I'll go through a set of spark plugs at least once a season. This sound right? I had a 07 Sea-doo RXT but traded it in back in winter of '08 for a motorcycle so I have PWC experience and the sea-doo never did that or required new plugs every season. I figure I'll take the ski into the stealership for a checkup. This overkill or a good idea? Also the battery is original and never was hooked up to a charger over the winter months and the ski was beeping with the "bat" shown up on display. I assume to purchase a new battery for piece of mind? Anything else I should do or forgetting? Figure I'd flush it out with garden hose, wash 'n' wax, etc. I've always bought new for my toys (pwc's, motorcycles, etc) and this is my first used ski so kinda nervous but the seller seems like a really nice guy and a straight shooter. Any advice, tips, etc. on getting this setup for the season and as reliable as possible would be great. Thanks and sorry for the long post.

Markov

The original spark plugs have been known to crap out from time to time although personally, I haven't had a problem. Many people have changed to a different type plug. Do a search for plugs in this section and you'll find more than enough info.

As for the BAT light, ensure your battery is fully charged and then when you insert the key WAIT until the guage goes through it's couple second initialization before starting the ski. If you try to start it before this, the BAT light often comes on even with a battery that has a good charge.

+1
    Replacing plugs at least every season is something I've always done on every ski I've ever owned. It's just good practice and piece of mind for me.

Quote Originally Posted by DrewNJ View Post
    Replacing plugs at least every season is something I've always done on every ski I've ever owned. It's just good practice and piece of mind for me.
    Can you point me to some good aftermarket plugs for a 07 Ultra 250X that are already gapped correctly? I can do this and a new battery this weekend. Any thoughts on good battery or just go with like interstate or something?

+1
    For plugs I run the NGK CR9EK plugs. They don't come with the little screw on terminal ends so you'll need to pick them up as well at about $.10 ea..

I've always had good luck with either the stock Yuasa or Deka batteries. Oddessy is good too. A lot of it depends on if your going to buy local or if you don't mind waiting a bit and ordering. Batteries range from about $80-$150 depending on where you buy.

Jerry has batteries in the online store for about $100 and my local west marine was $140

Quote Originally Posted by DrewNJ View Post
    For plugs I run the NGK CR9EK plugs. They don't come with the little screw on terminal ends so you'll need to pick them up as well at about $.10 ea..

I've always had good luck with either the stock Yuasa or Deka batteries. Oddessy is good too. A lot of it depends on if your going to buy local or if you don't mind waiting a bit and ordering. Batteries range from about $80-$150 depending on where you buy.

Jerry has batteries in the online store for about $100 and my local west marine was $140
    Now available CR9EKB. They r same with CR9EK but they include the thing on the terminal end

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by GODOSIDIS View Post
    Now available CR9EKB. They r same with CR9EK but they include the thing on the terminal end
    cool! damn good to know!

Thanks for the replies. I wrote down the plugs and battery companies to look for. Ill check the online store here too. Should I have the dealer look it over or say screw it unless there is a problem? I have time, its not warm enough to ride till mid to late May.

Quote Originally Posted by kman View Post

As for the BAT light, ensure your battery is fully charged and then when you insert the key WAIT until the guage goes through it's couple second initialization before starting the ski. If you try to start it before this, the BAT light often comes on even with a battery that has a good charge.
    handy to know that, i wondered why i would get low bat sometimes.
    thanks!

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by GODOSIDIS View Post
    Hey Chris have you heard of CR9EKi just wondering they are available but don't know if there the same or better?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information