Ever see a cracked intercooler on RXT???

I've got water in my intake hoses, intercooler and SC, 08 RXT 255. Pulled the intercooler and by mouth, pulled a vacuum and pressurized the intercooler and it holds vacuum and pressure.

I will take it to a radiator shop tomorrow to be tested.

2 things....
    What PSI does the water side of the intercooler run??? I'm thinking it should hold 20 PSI no problem???

Anyone ever hear of an intercooler going bad???

Thanks, Jim

+1
    [QUOTE=Jim W;1378025]I've got water in my intake hoses, intercooler and SC, 08 RXT 255. Pulled the intercooler and by mouth, pulled a vacuum and pressurized the intercooler and it holds vacuum and pressure.

2 things....
    What PSI does the water side of the intercooler run??? I'm thinking it should hold 20 PSI no problem???

Thanks, Jim[/QUO
    you could do a check while its still in the hull

[QUOTE=jetskibill9999;1378039]
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim W View Post
    I've got water in my intake hoses, intercooler and SC, 08 RXT 255. Pulled the intercooler and by mouth, pulled a vacuum and pressurized the intercooler and it holds vacuum and pressure.

2 things....

Thanks, Jim[/QUO
    you could do a check while its still in the hull
    LOL too late..... It's out.

I never have water in the bilge and I can't think of anywhere else water could be getting into the intake side. The intercooler had about 1/2 cup of water in it.

My Sea Doo surges on acceleration and after a few WOT runs the water clears out and it if fine for a while.

Jim

Cool Pressure testing the intercooler

I went through this process last fall when I suspected that my Rotax Racing inter-cooler was cracked/leaking-it was not.

I wouldn't take it to any shop, it's REAL E-Z to test yourself.

I used a couple of fittings I had laying around like 1/2" pipe "T" and a 1/4" air compressor quick change fitting. Use some 5/8" and 3/4" rubber heater hose and connect that to the "T" and thread your 1/4' quick change fitting into that. Regulate (or bleed down) your air compressor to 45 P.S.I. and hook it up.

I hooked it up to 45 P.S.I. air pressure and submerged the entire inter-cooler in a 5 gallon bucket of water, ONE hour later, NO air bubbles.

I even tried the garden hose water pressure running through it for a while, same results, No LEAKS.

As far as the source of the water in your intake, I had the same thing happen, turns out it was from a while ago, prior incident, and the water was sitting in the "low spot" in the intake manifold. Pulled my hair out for 4 + trips at the Lake, and that's what it turned out to be.

The driveshaft/carbon seal could possibly be one of the possible sources of water entering your hull.

Hope this helps

Quote Originally Posted by Jim W View Post

2 things....

Thanks, Jim

Quote Originally Posted by kraven View Post
    I went through this process last fall when I suspected that my Rotax Racing inter-cooler was cracked/leaking-it was not.

I wouldn't take it to any shop, it's REAL E-Z to test yourself.

I used a couple of fittings I had laying around like 1/2" pipe "T" and a 1/4" air compressor quick change fitting. Use some 5/8" and 3/4" rubber heater hose and connect that to the "T" and thread your 1/4' quick change fitting into that. Regulate (or bleed down) your air compressor to 45 P.S.I. and hook it up.

I hooked it up to 45 P.S.I. air pressure and submerged the entire inter-cooler in a 5 gallon bucket of water, ONE hour later, NO air bubbles.

I even tried the garden hose water pressure running through it for a while, same results, No LEAKS.

As far as the source of the water in your intake, I had the same thing happen, turns out it was from a while ago, prior incident, and the water was sitting in the "low spot" in the intake manifold. Pulled my hair out for 4 + trips at the Lake, and that's what it turned out to be.

The driveshaft/carbon seal could possibly be one of the possible sources of water entering your hull.

Hope this helps
    Thanks Kraven, that does help.

My Sea Doo only has 32-34 hrs on it. Not that there couldn't be a defective seal on the driveshaft. But, the inside of my hull is always dry.

The radiator shop I deal with might test the intercooler for free or a minimum charge. since it's out, I will start there.

When I took the intercooler off, I could actually shake water out of the fins.

There's a ribbed hard plastic hose that run's from the left rear up to what I believe is the air intake. I could pull that hose off so any water in the bilge would be 1 1/2' below the air inlet and try that. Although, thinking about it, that hose was dry.....

Radiator shop tomorrow and I will know more.

Jim

+1
    Jim Welcome to the Hulk.

Keep us posted on your findings.

Quote Originally Posted by beerdart View Post
    Jim Welcome to the Hulk.

Keep us posted on your findings.
    Will do....

Jim

YUP, it's cracked/hole

just talked to my radiator shop.
    Intercooler has a small crack/hole and they think it's in a place they can't get at to weld. Don't quite understand why they can't get at it but, I'm not looking at it either.

I had 2 complaints under warranty about the surging on acceleration. Local dealership will work with me towards getting it covered under warranty.

Jim

Thread Information