+1

Info request on 00 STX Di fuel pump

Guys,

I'm a Yamaha rider who has stumbled onto a 2000 STX Di who apparently has fuel related problems. I was advised that it needed a fuel pump and was wondering if anyone knew of the place where I might get one for a reasonable price.

I am assumeing that this is the problem, but if these crafts have a history of other problems that might make me believe that it is the fuel pump, then I would appreciate that info as well.

Thanks.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Without checking my notes , I think this would be a Ficht direct injected engine. If so, then the fuel pump is electric, and I expect it would be located inside the fuel tank.

On the fuel injected Polaris 2-stroke PWC, the Ficht fuel pump puts out 20-30 PSI, with the pressure regulator inside the pump body.

The actual pump within the body is a standard carter fuel pump, and I think a good auto supply shop would be able to cross reference the fuel pump for you.

Note: Many PWC shops are unfamiliar with the Ficht system, so mis-diagnosis are not uncommon.

+1

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by K447 View Post

Note: Many PWC shops are unfamiliar with the Ficht system, so mis-diagnosis are not uncommon.

See, this is my concern right here. Are there any Kawi gurus that I can contact to help me figure out my problem? I don't mind buying the part, but I would really like to diagnose the problem before I fork out any coins.

Also, thanks for the heads up on cross reference at the auto supply.

+1
    I have a good used fuel pump from that ski. Send a PM if you figure out you need it.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by salty View Post
    ... I would really like to diagnose the problem before I fork out any coins.

Also, thanks for the heads up on cross reference at the auto supply.
    Hook up a fuel pressure gauge to the return fuel line, and measure the pressure. On the Polaris models, there is a schrader valve tee for that purpose.

If it is easier, you can tee into the supply hose and measure pressure there. Just be careful you don't let fuel spray around from a leaky connection

You can find some more info here;
    Polaris Ficht Fuel Injected Engines

+1
    Be careful that you don't mis-diagnose the problem and just randomly replace the fuel pump. The crankshaft position sensor has to be able to decode the ribs on the flywheel when it's rotating, before the EMM will turn on the fuel pump. It you have other problems, they could be masking the root cause. Do you have check engine light? When cranking, can you hear the fuel pump turn on? You should be able to see the fuel injection lines pulse. You can also try taking off the fuel line at the brass in-line pressure regulator and placing it into a bottle and observing fuel flow or lack of when cranking.

Thread Information