Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Do i need to get an aftermarket Ride plate for my FZR

Hi. My FZR now has a Riva FF exhaust, R&D Plenum filter, RD Surge Protector, R&D Intake Grate, Pump Seals, Cavitation cone, and a Skat 13/21 Impeller. I was wondering if i need to get an aftermarket rideplate (R&D) to enhance the performance....will this give me any more acceleration and top end speed? If so how much. Thanks

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by bigbear View Post
    Hi. My FZR now has a Riva FF exhaust, R&D Plenum filter, RD Surge Protector, R&D Intake Grate, Pump Seals, Cavitation cone, and a Skat 13/21 Impeller. I was wondering if i need to get an aftermarket rideplate (R&D) to enhance the performance....will this give me any more acceleration and top end speed? If so how much. Thanks
    This link will answer your question.

http://www.4-tecperformance.com/inde...oducts_id=1235

Quote Originally Posted by RichieFZR View Post
    This link will answer your question.

http://www.4-tecperformance.com/inde...oducts_id=1235
    Thanks Richie...whats your experience with the R&D Plate? Do you get an additional 3mph over stock

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by bigbear View Post
    Thanks Richie...whats your experience with the R&D Plate? Do you get an additional 3mph over stock
    Mines still not fitted yet. Waiting on my prop. I will let you know once done.

+1
    You could try to remove the stock spacers and shim the front of the stock plate. It takes a little playing around with but I gained over 3 mph by using the stock plate and shimming the front only. Many people have shimmed it different amounts with different results. Try it before you decide if you want a different plate. If you still decide you want another plate there are a few options. R&D, which i have heard gives good results, the VX plate which I have also heard gives good results, or you can have one of the two plates I mentioned modded by Jim. I wish I could give more info but I am waiting to test two plates. I have the stock plate modded by JD1 and I have the VX plate modded by Jim. It is starting to warm up here a bit so testing should be coming soon.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by ercBOOSTED View Post
    You could try to remove the stock spacers and shim the front of the stock plate. It takes a little playing around with but I gained over 3 mph by using the stock plate and shimming the front only. Many people have shimmed it different amounts with different results. Try it before you decide if you want a different plate. If you still decide you want another plate there are a few options. R&D, which i have heard gives good results, the VX plate which I have also heard gives good results, or you can have one of the two plates I mentioned modded by Jim. I wish I could give more info but I am waiting to test two plates. I have the stock plate modded by JD1 and I have the VX plate modded by Jim. It is starting to warm up here a bit so testing should be coming soon.
    Those stock spacers help support the hull.

+1
    Many people have already done it. Ask around.

+1
    I've read a lot about people shimming the stock ride plate and although I haven't heard of any issues I think it is important to realize there there is some level of risk involved when shimming the stock ride plate. With the millions that Yamaha spends on research and development I highly doubt that they would have the spacers for no reason. Just making sure that 'bigbear' gets an appropriate and accurate answer to his question.

+1
    I removed my stock shims and have played around with shimming the front of my stock modded by Jim plate. Went with one stainless washer (I think it was .046") in the front only first and the handling was great (speed was limited as I was on the limiter with the prop I had--13/22R then 13/24 Skat). Installed the second washer in the front and the ski got really loose (more than I like). I will start this year with this same setup and after fingering-out where I'm at with all the off-season changes, I will then be installing and testing my VX plate.

+1
    And done it with no issues.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeFZR View Post
    I highly doubt that they would have the spacers for no reason.

There are different theories on why they are there. Perhaps they are there to help slow the ski down and keep the Coast Guard happy. Same with the stock ride plate. It's design slows the ski down.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information