Thread: Gel coat damage

Gel coat damage

I have a couple of hair line cracks in gelcoat in the top part of my boat , I was told not to even bother fixing , are they easy fixed , would you even bother ??

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by benobo View Post
    I have a couple of hair line cracks in gelcoat in the top part of my boat , I was told not to even bother fixing , are they easy fixed , would you even bother ??
    Don't even mess with it! It could turn into a nightmare! When I picked up my new 08's with the metalic hyper silver paint, I too had a small 4 inch hairline crack in the paint on the top deck right above the Bubble BRP sticker. It didn't go all the way through the glass. Me being the anal customer I was I insisted that it be fixed! The guy my dealer subbed out to did a number on the front of my ski! Now it looks like shit! I'm still in the process of finding someone to respray the front of the ski. Dealer is going to step up and still warrenty it. I've just had to jump through hoops getting the paint scanned and finding someone willing to fix another contractors' F up!

Ed
    Last edited by 12timeworldchamps; 04-01-2010 at 02:40 AM.

X2 if you want to get it fixed you better do some research to determine who to use as my buddy had one repaired it it looks worse now!

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by 12timeworldchamps View Post
    Don't even mess with it! I could turn into a nightmare! When I picked up my new 08's with the metalic hyper silver paint, I too had a small 4 inch hairline crack in the paint on the top deck right above the Bubble BRP sticker. It didn't go all the way through the glass. Me being the anal customer I was I insisted that it be fixed! The guy my dealer subbed out to did a number on the front of my ski! Now it looks like shit! I'm still in the process of finding someone to respray the front of the ski. Dealer is going to step up and still warrenty it. I've just had to jump through hoops getting the paint scanned and finding someone willing to fix another contractors' F up!

Ed
    dude that sucks. to bad your not closer as a friend of mine is a master boat builder and can fix pretty much anything. do you have pic of the crappy repair area? only way to stop a crack is to drill a small hole at each end

+1
    My son ran into the back of my ski a few years back and I always wondered what some alternatives would be to fix the Gel-coat. I am planning on having it repainted so could you use some different type of filling material like a gorrilla hair, bondo, etc...

+1
    Leave it..

Thanks boys

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by 12timeworldchamps View Post
    Don't even mess with it! It could turn into a nightmare! When I picked up my new 08's with the metalic hyper silver paint, I too had a small 4 inch hairline crack in the paint on the top deck right above the Bubble BRP sticker. It didn't go all the way through the glass. Me being the anal customer I was I insisted that it be fixed! The guy my dealer subbed out to did a number on the front of my ski! Now it looks like shit! I'm still in the process of finding someone to respray the front of the ski. Dealer is going to step up and still warrenty it. I've just had to jump through hoops getting the paint scanned and finding someone willing to fix another contractors' F up!

Ed
    Good luck bro. That silver is almost impossible to match.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by speedskixp View Post
    Good luck bro. That silver is almost impossible to match.

Here is what can happen if you are not carefull!

Ed
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P7200059.JPG 
Views:	82 
Size:	1.32 MB 
ID:	181170   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P7200061.JPG 
Views:	72 
Size:	1.29 MB 
ID:	181171   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P7200064.JPG 
Views:	71 
Size:	1.45 MB 
ID:	181172  

Thread Information