'98 waverunner xl1200 top end rebuild....

New to jet skis, just bought a 2006 honda r12x (so awesome!) And a '98 yamaha waverunner xl1200. First time out on the water theb honda performed flawless, got the yamaha off the trailer and started it up. I was having trouble getting it to accelerate so I figured it just cold and needed to warm up. Waited a bit and tryed again and it kept bogging. I kept feathering the throttle and got it to go a couple of times but under WOT it would just bog. Pulled the plugs for new ones and it took off perfect tried WOT and bogged again and kept bogging at low speeds. Thinking it needs jetting I Left it alone and took it to a mechanic who called me today to tell me 2 outer cylinders are pushing 100lbs and the middle is at 70lbs..sound right? I'm looking at top end rebuild kits ranging from $280-310. Mechanic is saying he'll charge $750-850 to do the job parts included. Too much? I've rebuilt a yamaha and honda atv before both two stroke, how much harder is a ski? Can I replace just the one bad piston/rings and leave the other 2? Thanks for any input, also if anyone has a work shop manual for the xl1200 id greatly appreciate it if I decided to do this myself.

+1

Smile

Do all three cylinders at same time and you will not have to go back to do again.Use the " Search" function and you will find repair manuals. Good luck.

Ok so I tore it all down down today and for some reason I can't get the cylinder block off. I am 100% sure all the bolts are off. The back side of the block will try and come up but the front side won't budge. Any ideas??? The spark plugs are off, do the heads really need to come off to pull the block out?

Come to the dark side... We have COOKIES! flyman's Avatar

disassembly

The head doesent need to come off. But why would you leave it on? I had to really rap the block a few times with a rubber mallet on all four corners to get my block to come loose.

As far as I can tell its loose on all four corners. The back side will come up about 2-3 inches but the front side only an inch or so like somethings holding it but there's nothing visibly holding it. Ill remove the head in the morning to see if that helps any. Thanks for the replies so far

Got the cylinder head off and found the middle piston pitted to hell, as well as the combustion chamber. The cylinder walls don't look to bad, going to have it honed and or bored. How do I change the crank case oil? Do I have to pull the whole thing out?

Quote Originally Posted by turbo-traxx View Post
    Got the cylinder head off and found the middle piston pitted to hell, as well as the combustion chamber. The cylinder walls don't look to bad, going to have it honed and or bored. How do I change the crank case oil? Do I have to pull the whole thing out?
    What crank case oil you are talking about a 2 stroke doesnt have oil in the crankcase thats why you mix oil in with the gas or it is oil injected for you, you do need to pull the cases to make sure there is no debris in with the crank bearings that could mess up the crank or another cylinder.

So what lubricates the crank? My two stroke quads all had separate oil for the crank bearings and such...

Come to the dark side... We have COOKIES! flyman's Avatar
    sounds like a busted ring or grenaded piston hanging up on a port.

Thread Information