Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Help! 2002 GTX Won't START

I just purchased it about 2 weeks ago, and have taken it out about 4 or 5 times already. Haven't had a problem with it until yesterday. We were out on it for about 4 hours. with no problems. The only difference is that the water was really rough this time, so we were jumping alot, and even while it wasn't being used. It was still getting rocked back and forth. So everything went fine, when i got home, I was getting ready to flush it out. I put in the key...( gauges came on and got my 2 beeps) but when I hit the start button. I got nothing. So I opened up the engine compartment, and noticed that the battery ( i guess with all the movement ) had flown out of its tray. So i figured it was battery. I put it back in its place, tightened the screws, and STILL GOT NOTHING. I called a local shop today, and was told it could be either the starter solenoid, or the actual start/stop button. I was just figuring that something came undone with all the movement. Are these things that just go bad. The ski only has 45 hours on it. It just sucks becasue I was told that I'm looking at about $200 if its any of those things.....and i'm sure they wouldn't tell me if it was just a wire or something that came loose.

flyin' the friendly skies airbornexp's Avatar
    +1
    go to the MPEM and see if you popped a fuse. (black box in the front) if its not that you may have a bad solenoid. ( take a screw driver and bridge the connection) if it works you have a bad solenoid. check all battery connections for arcing also.

a solenoid is $30 max and two screws...the start stop rarely goes out

Thank you. Im going to check the fuses now. i guess if its the solenoid, Im going to have to take it in, because i don't have the slightest clue how a solenoid looks, or where its located....

flyin' the friendly skies airbornexp's Avatar
    +1
    the solenoid is located in the black box in the rear. follow the positive (red) lead from the starter to the black box then from the black box that the solenoid is in the positeve goes to the battery. open it up and you will be amazed on how simple it is...thats what this site is for. dont waste your money at the stealership. this is childs play

this is a solenoid
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	solenoid.jpg 
Views:	100 
Size:	10.2 KB 
ID:	180899  

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff1229 View Post
    I just purchased it about 2 weeks ago, and have taken it out about 4 or 5 times already. Haven't had a problem with it until yesterday. We were out on it for about 4 hours. with no problems. The only difference is that the water was really rough this time, so we were jumping alot, and even while it wasn't being used. It was still getting rocked back and forth. So everything went fine, when i got home, I was getting ready to flush it out. I put in the key...( gauges came on and got my 2 beeps) but when I hit the start button. I got nothing. So I opened up the engine compartment, and noticed that the battery ( i guess with all the movement ) had flown out of its tray. So i figured it was battery. I put it back in its place, tightened the screws, and STILL GOT NOTHING. I called a local shop today, and was told it could be either the starter solenoid, or the actual start/stop button. I was just figuring that something came undone with all the movement. Are these things that just go bad. The ski only has 45 hours on it. It just sucks becasue I was told that I'm looking at about $200 if its any of those things.....and i'm sure they wouldn't tell me if it was just a wire or something that came loose.
    What motor is in your ski-- 785 rfi, 951 carberated, 951 di or the 4 stroke 4 tech? Are you in fresh water or salt? How clean is your engine compartment? Answering these questions will help us help you.

Warner Robins, GA Home of the 2007 All-Star Little League World Champions!
    Quote Originally Posted by jim View Post
    What motor is in your ski-- 785 rfi, 951 carberated, 951 di or the 4 stroke 4 tech? Are you in fresh water or salt? How clean is your engine compartment? Answering these questions will help us help you.
    +1

im pretty sure its the 951 carberated. The engine compartment its pretty clean. Although every time i wash it out after we ride, for some reason, I see alot of oil and stuff that looks like grease, dump out on the driveway. Its mostly salt water that we ride in...

If I bridge the solenoid, and its starts. Where do I buy this solenoid. Does it have to be a dealership, or can I get it at an autoparts store?

+1
    IMO, you need to buy the proper part, not a substitute that was not made for a marine application.

That would mean dealer (but check on here, GH has a lot of the stuff we need).

Ok. Well I did the bridge of the solenoid, and it wasnt that. Checked all my fuses, and it wasnt that either. All fuses were good. So I ended up taking it to the mechanic. He called me back today, said it was done. He said there was a break in the electric box or something like that ( couldnt really understand him since I was on the road and had poor reception. ) But I'll see tomorrow. HE said he was also going to strap down my battery since it was just flying around. It all came out to like $ 87. I dont think its bad. I just wish I couldve done it myself, becasue I know they charge like $55 an hour, just for labor.... I guess you always pay for what you don't know. He also did a whole ski check up, check the compression in the cylinders ( which i never did when i purchased it) ... tomorrow when i pick it up, i'll be able to see what it was exactly, i'm sure it was something stupid.... I guess i'll know for next time....

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information