Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

98 SLXH has no spark until starter is released

Ok I have a 98 SLXH 1050 that ran when it was put away for the winter. Went out ot start it up and get ready for preseason maintenance and it turns over but doesnt start. Pulled plugs to check for spark and ski is getting fuel. Cleaned plugs and gapped them. No spark when engine is cranked but when the start button is released get a spark from the plug. Any suggestions of what may be wrong? Thanks alot!

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Welcome

My guess is that the battery is weak.

Battery must deliver more than 10.6 volts to the CDI while cranking the engine.

Thank You. This is a great forum with alot of valuable information. I will look at the battery and check the voltage. I will post back with my findings. Thank You so much!

Ok, So I checked the battery voltage while turning the motor over and it was at 9.5 volts. So a new battery needs installed. Should I test any of the rest of the electrical system or just wait until I get the new battery installed?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by amcsst View Post
    Ok, So I checked the battery voltage while turning the motor over and it was at 9.5 volts. So a new battery needs installed.

Should I test any of the rest of the electrical system or just wait until I get the new battery installed?
    Until you have strong voltage from the battery, the rest won't tell you much.

If you can, buy a factory sealed AGM battery, instead of another regular lead-acid battery.

Deka brand or similar. One of the best AGM type batteries would the Odyssey PC625.

AGM batteries generally last longer, don't leak, resist vibration, and put out strong starting voltage

Ok thank you. Thats what I will do. I will report back when I have a new battery installed and tried starting it. Thank You again.

Replying back after installing a New AGM battery in my ski. The drop while turning the motor over is 11.5 volts and now I have spark while starting. After a couple times of cranking I got the ski to start. Thank You so much for you time and your advice.

This is how I run a jetski shop in the desert nmpeter's Avatar
    +1

I stopped selling l/a batteries

for that very reason. Polaris skis are most finicky and you can't trust the dash voltmeter either!.

oh yeah..+100 on what K447 said, he's my practical polaris guru. If it's happened..he's seen it or heard about it.

AGM batteries are well worth the couple of extra bucks, specially on polaris <snide grin on> since the batteries are just so acceible and easy to service<snide grin off>

Even my economy AGM batteries are worlds ahead of any Lead acid gota fill it every few weeks and dies over the winter battery.

Now if I had a sulfate farm, it would be a different story.

For those tech types..you get a spark when the starter button is let off as the cdi sees a sudden wake up call given enough voltage to fire and the engine spins a half a turn afer you let the starter off.

Good way to eventually fry a cdi btw.

I needed a quick battery fix this weekend...so no time to order an odyssey or decent AGM.

Since the ones at AutoZone are lucky to last a season I was going to pick up the cheapest thing WalMart had. To my surprise, they sell an AGM battery for about the same price you'd pay for a lead-acid at the auto parts store....about $65.

So I picked one up. I'll report back if I have any problems with it...but for the price it seems like a good deal.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by bgaidan View Post
    ...WalMart ... To my surprise, they sell an AGM battery for about the same price you'd pay for a lead-acid at the auto parts store....about $65.

So I picked one up. I'll report back if I have any problems with it...but for the price it seems like a good deal.
    Was that a factory sealed AGM battery, or one with the acid added later.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information