Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    +1

Towing A Seadoo While Running in Neutral

I have looked into towing a ski and I realize that the 4 tech's may ingest water, an inlet tube has to be blocked, and if not, the safe tow speed is around 10-15 mph. I have two skis now and where the boat launch is to my place is approx 20min, is it possible to tow one ski with the other while it is running so it wont take on water and has anyone ever done this? I doubt Jammer 1 is making a special trip to help transport my skis, so I need to know if this would work.

Thanks
    Danny

i would think that with the motor running you would be ok but someone else here will know more than me

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    If by 'neutral' you mean with the reverse bucket part way down, that might be an issue when towing at speed.

With the reverse bucket all the way up (or not present), the only issue would be leaving the lanyard on the running ski without a person there. If the tow rope fails, or you just need to stop, the ski might ingest the rope into the jet pump.

Why not install a shut off valve into the water supply line, so there is no water to flood the engine? Then you can tow without worries.

Banned User
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by K447 View Post
    If by 'neutral' you mean with the reverse bucket part way down, that might be an issue when towing at speed.

With the reverse bucket all the way up (or not present), the only issue would be leaving the lanyard on the ski without a person there. If the tow rope fails, or you just need to stop, the ski might ingest the rope into the jet pump.

Why not install a shut off valve into the water supply line, so there is no water to flood the engine? Then you can tow without worries.
    +1 your asking for trouble towing with it running. may get away with it 999999 times but it only takes once! you dont really need a special tool to pinch that hose either, it can be a small "C" clamp. less then 5 bucks at an ace hardwear or orchards.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by K447 View Post
    I keep two pair of needle nose vise grips and just clamp both hoses. I know which is the in/out, but I just take care of both.

just clamp off the hose with the RED stripe or piece of RED tape on it. Takes 30 seconds.

Banned User
    +1
    I guess I'm lucky then. I was testing out a super-charger one day, with a friend, when it locked up on me. Dead in the water.
    He towed me back, at about 30mph, for close to 4 miles, and not a drop entered anywhere.
    I know about the red band around the hose, and that your supposed to clamp it off, but we never did. Go figure.
    That was on a 2008 Seadoo RXT-X, and close to 100 hours ago.

Good to know as I have also towed without problems. Sounds like I was also lucky!

+1
    Thanks for the input boys, Im assuming from the replies that it would work if i want to chance running a ski at idle with the lanyard attatched while I am towing with another ski at maybe 30mph.

So does anyone have a pic please of this hose I need to pinch off. I would use the gtx(05) to tow the rxp(04).

Thanks Everyone I really appreciate it

Danny

Jammer1 still waiting for you to drive the other ski for me!

When my S/C shit the ceramic washers I was towed for about an hr. back to the dock with me on my ride running. The S/C didnt lock up thou.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information