Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

951 Oil Consumption?

Hey guys, I have a 98 GSX Limited (silver engine) that I bought last year with 150 hours on it. I put about 6 hours or so on it last summer, and it doesn't look like the oil level in the oil tank has gone down much. This kind of worries me.

How much oil does this engine usually use with the stock oil injection system (gallons of gas per gallon of oil)?

I find it hard to believe that it's not using any because it seems like it smokes a decent amount when out of the water.

Any insight would be really helpful.

Thanks!

+1
    that i the nice thing about the oil injection, it saves you oil. at idle, it reduces the amount of oil it injects. at wot i think it mixes 40:1, its much less at idle to keep the smoke down as the motor doesn't need as much as at wot. just make sure you have synced the oil pump and that the cable is hooked up. you should get 2-3 tanks or more of gas to one tank of oil.

Oh, that scares me. Like I said, I put 6 hours on it and it doesn't look like the level changed that much. That was probably 4-5 tanks of gas.
    Should I start premixing my gas, just in case? Not sure what to do or how to check it easily.

Warner Robins, GA Home of the 2007 All-Star Little League World Champions!
    Get a mirror and a flashlight and make sure the the oil pump cam is indexed with the stationary slot on the front cover. They should align when the idle is set at 3k out of water.

Your oil filter could be clogged too, from mixing different brand oils. I'd definitely swap it.

The oil pump is good, or it would have already seized.

Quote Originally Posted by 96XPSS View Post
    The oil pump is good, or it would have already seized.
    Yeah, that's kinda what I was thinking. Plus, there's definitely evidence that it is burning oil, because it smokes a decent amount.

I checked that it was aligned a few minutes ago and all is well there. I will definitely get a new filter, though I'm not looking forward to the mess of changing it out and bleeding it.

Warner Robins, GA Home of the 2007 All-Star Little League World Champions!
    Good deal. Welcome to GH!

+1
    Bleeding is not a big deal. Reaching it on that hull is but it helps to pull the glove box out first.

Snip the zips on the hoses and the one securing the filter. Then clamp the upper hose to cut down on the spillage. Pull the upper hose off and then pull the filter out of the lower hose (try to keep the lower hose from draining if you can).

Now, here is the trick. Put the new filter into the lower hose (make sure the arrow points toward the engine). Put the upper hose up to the filter but do not put it on yet. Now loosen the clamp and let it fill the filter. As soon as the filter starts to overflow shove the upper hose down onto it.

You will have little, if any air in the line and that will float its way up overnight in most cases.

Then replace the zips and wipe then rinse the hull as best you can (according to your tastes-I like a clean engine compartment, but some do not care much).

Excellent. Thank you for that little how-to. That should make things simpler.

Anyone got a cheap source for oil filters and fuel filters? Cheapest I've found is $7 for an oil filter, but then they don't have a fuel filter so I'd be paying shipping for two different places, nixing the benefit. Dumb.

+1
    I just grab them from the local dealer and do not worry about the price. Cheap compared to the alternative.

Quote Originally Posted by KrunchovXPL-GTX-RX View Post
    I just grab them from the local dealer and do not worry about the price. Cheap compared to the alternative.
    Haha, alright. I'm a poor college student, so I do have to pay attention to that kinda stuff. Hell, I wouldn't have gotten this jetski if it weren't so cheap. Bought it for $900 and put $2-300 into it to get it going. I know that if the alternative were to happen, I wouldn't be riding for a while, lol.

Thanks for you help. I'll get that changed out and see how it goes.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information