Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Hard Starting

Hard Starting

Happy Spring guys. It's been a long winter and I'm ready to get back on the water. Pulled my skis around and put new batteries in both. Here is where it gets interesting. Battery goes in the 97 GSI and everything cranks up and runs good - still putting out copius amounts of smoke from winterization. Now the 96 XP - open it up to put the battery in and it is full of water. It's been covered up all winter with a fitted cover and sitting half covered under my back porch. I can't figure out how all this water got in there, but at any rate, I start the draining and while I am doing this throw some fogging oil down the cylinders for peice of mind. Hook everything back up and hit the start button and it spins over then starts to do what is posted in the video in the link below (searched for the problem already). Could the oil have caused higher compression, stalling the starting process? Since I had no clue the water was in there could it have shot the wear ring and pump. I've yet to check the ground line and don't know where to start (where is it located? Follow from battery to block?). If that doesn't help, I am seriously going to need some instruction on pulling of pump and wear ring. I've got mechanic skills when it comes to cars, but will need a little direction. Thanks in advance. I am totally baffled on how this thing filled up with water. - Brandon

http://greenhulk.net/forums/showthre...ighlight=start

flyin' the friendly skies airbornexp's Avatar
    +1
    your hard starting problem is due to a bad ground or dirty carbs. the ground goes from the battery to the the bottom of the engine. pretty much have to pull the motor to put it back in the stock location. if not cut it off and relocate to another spot. pull the carbs and pull the little screens and change your fuel lines if they are the gray tempo lines. as for the pump its easy. 4 13mm nuts and steering and trim arms and pull like a SOB. after that you will need a prop tool to remove the prop. then cut out the old wear ring and tap in a new one.

Grey lines were replaced last summer. Carbs cleaned as well at that time. So you have to pull the motor to look at the ground. Any write up on here on that process? I assume that the pump is accessed from the rear of the ski? Where to aquire a prop tool? Sorry for all the questions. - B.

Morning folks - any other ideas? Cut off the ground? Where to attach? Need a new eyelet to crimp on the ground line. Also wanted to investigate jumping across the battery to see if it is actually a ground problem. What is involved in this process? Thanks!

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Bhilton2v View Post
    Grey lines were replaced last summer. Carbs cleaned as well at that time. So you have to pull the motor to look at the ground. Any write up on here on that process? I assume that the pump is accessed from the rear of the ski? Where to aquire a prop tool? Sorry for all the questions. - B.
    Just cut the ground off and attach on the right side in front of the carbs(if your looking at the skif rom the back) I will get a picture for you tonight.

The pump is at the rear of the ski...the big black thing that water comes out of. you can get a prop tool either from the online store or make one yourself( search button)

Quote Originally Posted by Bhilton2v View Post
    Morning folks - any other ideas? Cut off the ground? Where to attach? Need a new eyelet to crimp on the ground line. Also wanted to investigate jumping across the battery to see if it is actually a ground problem. What is involved in this process? Thanks!
    get a pairof jumper cables. attach one ground to the battery and the other ground to a clean metal surfaceon the engine...if it fires the first time you found your problem.

Quote Originally Posted by airbornexp View Post
    Just cut the ground off and attach on the right side in front of the carbs(if your looking at the skif rom the back) I will get a picture for you tonight.

The pump is at the rear of the ski...the big black thing that water comes out of. you can get a prop tool either from the online store or make one yourself( search button)

get a pairof jumper cables. attach one ground to the battery and the other ground to a clean metal surfaceon the engine...if it fires the first time you found your problem.
    10-4 - bout to go and work on it here in a bit.

Got it started - turned out to be the battery itself. Although it was new and activated, it needed about 30 minutes on the trickle charger to get to full charge. Tried jumping across with cables and no luck. I believe I know where you are talking about bolting the ground wire, but I'd still like to see a pic if you get a chance. Thanks for all the help - simple things first.

+1
    These ol' 2 strokes are pretty finicky about the battery power. they need a full 12.5V or its a no go. glad you got it figured out.

Quote Originally Posted by airbornexp View Post
    These ol' 2 strokes are pretty finicky about the battery power. they need a full 12.5V or its a no go. glad you got it figured out.
    I appreciate the help. Strange thing is the new battery in the GSI didn't require anything. Popped it in and hit on the first push of the button. Thanks again. I know I'll end up asking alot more questions for help on these things. Next I've got to change out the grey tempo lines on the GSI.

You should always charge a new battery. Also,Go buy a hydrometer. They are cheap and easy to use. They also will give you a better idea of what shape your battery is in because you check the state of charge for each individual cell. I personally hate sealed batteries because you can't check the cells or keep them filled properly with acid. One dead cell can strand you later in the day. Any way, just my opinion on batteries.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information