Will Learn For Food unenergizer's Avatar

Arrow SL 750 Questions

Hello,

My best friends dad gave me two 1995 Polaris SL 750 jet ski's. Yes he gave them to me. Both ski's have been not been rode in over 13 years. One of the ski's is just being used for parts while the other ski is being fixed. One ski is locked up (the parts ski). I have thoroughly read through the user guide/maintance manual and the shop manual included.

So I have a question now and I probably will have more questions later.

1. I took all the sparks plugs out to inspect them and one of them had what seemed like water between the conductor and the ground strap (small gap on spark plug where the spark comes from). How bad of a sign is this? Should I still try to put it all back together and start it?

2. If I understand this correctly oil is dropped into the intake. Well one of the hose connections is broke. What are my other options here (i only have one of these parts)? SEE PICS ATTACHED.

Thanks guys!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2010-03-31 20.05.11.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	1.01 MB 
ID:	181070   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2010-03-31 20.05.32.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	1.23 MB 
ID:	181071  

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Welcome to the Hulk

Water inside the engine is bad. Water that has been sitting in the engine for years is very bad.

The crank shaft has steel roller bearings. Even a thin layer of rust will cause the bearings to self destruct when the engine is running at full power.

You can disconnect the jet pump, and turn the engine over by hand using the PTO coupler. With all spark plugs out, you should feel smooth motion, with no gritty feel or roughness as it rotates.

Spend some time reading the link below, and working through the Polaris Technical sections on Green Hulk. There is a lot of good info available around here

My guess is that if you want to have a reliable, running engine, you will need to have the engine rebuilt.

Either you do the rebuild yourself, or purchase a rebuilt engine, or find a good running used engine to install.

The broken oil injection nipple isn't as big a problem as I suspect the engine crank condition is.

Quote Originally Posted by K447 View Post
    You can disconnect the jet pump, and turn the engine over by hand using the PTO coupler. With all spark plugs out, you should feel smooth motion, with no gritty feel or roughness as it rotates.
    Can you go into greater detail on how to test this please.

I was told that the engine does work that it was cranked up at a mechanic shop about 1 year ago and they ran it off either. Personally I want to tear it all apart and rebuild it from the ground up but I don't have that kind of knowledge to do so. I do have the shop manual that shows how it all goes together.

Can you educate me with more reading material or your own experiences.

thanks!!

that is along time for them to sit,you should remove the spark plugs and put some oil down in the cylinders and try to turn the motor by hand,2 stroke jet ski oil.there is a very good possibility you have some rust on your crank,not good,i would try to turn it and if it turns free you could remove your oil pump and use a block off kit and forget about the oil lines,as far as the spark plugs being wet there is probably condensation in the motor from sitting 13 years,make sure the motor is still good before you waste money,all fuel lines would have to be replaced most likely and the carbs will need rebuilding or replacing depending on how bad they are, some of the more experienced Polaris guys will probably chime in.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by unenergizer View Post
    Can you go into greater detail on how to test this please.

...Can you educate me with more reading material or your own experiences...
    Where exactly are you located?

There may be a Greenhulk member or reputable shop nearby.

Running an engine on ether (starting fluid) for a few seconds doesn't prove much at all.

Regarding learning - best thing is to start reading. There is a lot of good info on this site, and in the link in my signature.

The next thing is to get hands on. The more you do, the more it will start to make sense. We have had many new members arrive with very little mechanical experience.

Often enough within a few months they not only know more about their particular machine than the local repair shops, but they also understand how it works, how to fix it, and how to maintain it and keep it running well.

And that knowledge can be applied to many other 2-stroke engined machines - weed wackers to other brands of PWC.

She likes the bike. But the ski gets her wet!!!! xlint89's Avatar
    +1
    Welcome to the Hulk Unenergizer.

Remove the spark plugs from the good engine and then press the start button.

Does water come spitting out the spark plug holes? If so, it's a done deal.

If not, you MIGHT be alright.

If you want some more experience, tear that parts ski engine out, and disassemble it. Then put it back together using your manual.

Nothing better than first hand experience, and won't cost you anything but your time.

All the info you seek is posted in the tech section. I suggest you start reading through some of it.

You have the Fuji (blue) engine, so don't bother reading up on the domestic (red) engine stuff that doesn't apply to you.

Thanks for the info guys.

@K447 - I am located in Beaumont, Texas.
    @xlint89 - I don't have a battery yet.

There seems to be enough evidence to suggest that a complete Rebuild is in order. I am 100% confident that I can rebuild the engine. I have my manual, the internet, and my dad who has rebuild several car engines. I have an OCD that shines when something needs great detail and TLC. Personally I like to do it right the first time.

I believe that I should disassemble the engine and if my dad says the parts of the engine are usable (eg, no rust, etc) then I will buy all new gaskets, gears, hoses, and any other part that needs to be replaced. Opening up seems to be the BEST way to be sure that the engine is worth trying to save.

I am NOT looking into buying a new jetski. I want to repair this for learning purposes and hopefully have a workable pwc in the end.

I am awaiting your replies.

+1
    Sounds like you have a plan

You may hear from some other GH members in your area.

Not necessarily right away, but if you create and maintain a project thread, it can be surprising how much support just sort of shows up.

Update your Profile with your location info and PWC model(s), etc.

Side note: If you are buying a battery, buy a factory sealed AGM battery.
    It will not leak, will provide plenty of starting power, and will last for years if well maintained. And it won't go dead just sitting around while you work on your project.

Thread Information