Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Banned User

The positive and Negative of SBT

OK folks, There is a bunch of disconnected posts and popular opinion on this subject. We need something to show, to our potential new members, why we feel the way we do about this company and their employees. (we know Brian Glynn is a goober-smoocher, so it doesn't need to be hashed)
    And please, Let's here first-hand accounts of your experiences.

Mods, a poll if you please.

Base opinions on first-hand accounts. Please be factual and un-biased.
    Base your post on:

1) Sale/customer service
    2) Quality of your build
    3) Cause of failure, if so
    4) longevity of the build, if any

We'd like to know if your opinion is positive, Negative, or neutral. And why you feel your label is just.

Please don't turn this into a flame thread, as it will be evidence to our cause.

My personal experience will be posted soon.

1. The sale was smooth. I ordered it on a Friday, received it on Monday since I live close by in Florida. I had dealt with Bryan on the SBT forums before and had some disagreements already w/ him. I knew he was rude but was hoping the engine would hold up. Customer service was as terrible as it could get... insulted by technical support when my warranty motor proved faulty, etc.

2. Quality was questionable from the get go. There was a nick on the piston crown on the new engine. When asking SBT, Bryan stated that the piston tops were a rough casting and this was normal. Since it was under warranty, I rolled with it. My ski *never* overheated prior to the SBT installed motor. I can't point directly at the SBT engines, but to this day I'll never know why my ski overheats. Once that motor blew (top ringland was gone on MAG), my warranty replacement had leaking spark plug threads, I was sent replacement heads, still leaked... I was sent a 3rd set that I never installed due to time constraints and the ski being up for sale.

3. Cause of failure.. detonation from timing being off w/ the SBT motor? Overheat? Not sure.. diagnosed as a ring snag.

4. 40 hours, the warranty replacement is running fine... ski is pending sale.

+1

Exclamation

Lets not let this thread turn negative in anyway.
    Keep it clean. No bashing in anyway.

We have forum rules to follow also. Thanks
    http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/showthread.php?t=8474

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by wetherby

Base opinions on first-hand accounts. Please be factual and un-biased.
    Base your post on:

1) Sale/customer service
    2) Quality of your build

We'd like to know if your opinion is positive, Negative, or neutral. And why you feel your label is just.
    Customer service-poor to say the least, incorrect information from Bryan on, well....................let's just say on more than one occassion. Poor troubleshooting assistance by Bryan.
    The quality of each build that came into my shop for repairs, well it was usually in my shop for an internal failure.
    Wether it was a bearing failure, incorrectly installed piston, tolerances off (broken piston skirt) etc. was irrelevent, it was a quality control issue.
    As far as longevity some made it a season or two, others several hours, some had issues upon starting the engine.
    Most were not even sent back as the customer opted to have the problem solved correctly and not risk more down time.
    As I didn't order the engines I could not speak for their ordering system.
    My vote would have to swing for constant poor experiences with SBT and their product and at least one employee.

Hey I just joined the site, been lurking for a while. I had to replace 3 blown engines last year in my old 900 STX rental Skis. The two complete engines never ran as good as the originals. The Third I installed a SBT crank. The crank failed at 2 hours and I lost a good set of cases. I will never do business with them again. I was reading somewhere that they use alot of cheap chinese replacement parts. Not positive so don't quote me.

-Zack

+1
    Welcome to the Forum Turbo

cheatin' piston popper addicted's Avatar
    +1
    Got a polaris 750 from them along with carb kits in 2001. Never got it running right. Turned out that the heads were cut wrong and my compression was low. Also the diaphrams in there carb kits are somehow different from mikuni's. Holed a piston earlier this year(my fault). Upon teardown, the thrust washer in #2 was almost gone with around 30hrs. Sold that crank on ebay and bought another good used one.

Got banned from pwct simply for being a member of other forums. When asked why, got called an assclown. Will never do business with, or recommend them again.

They have an attractive remanufacturing program, but need to improve in many areas.

On the plus side, I have to credit them for getting me started on the internet forums, wich ultimately got me here.

Banned User
    Quote Originally Posted by wetherby
    1) Sale/customer service
    2) Quality of your build

OK, Here's my story:
    I bought the ski with a 4-year-old unused 1050. The owner had it installed by a local shop, and never started it.
    I knew the engine was out of warranty, but passed all the significant tests.

Had major carb issues from the start, so I took the whole ski to TxPro1200 for carb work. He worked the carbs over, but couldn't get it fine tuned. It had to be run rich on the bottom to make it through the rest of the rpm range.

After riding for 30 hours on the clock, I had the carbs rebuilt again. Everything was done by the book, and tortured a piston on the maiden run.

I later found that SBT sent a 97 model engine, (which requires richer jetting).
    After learning that it was deffininately SBTs screw-up, pugsly mearly deflected responsibilty with "we're not sure".

So, that being said:
    1) There was no purchase on my part, but SBT refused to fix their error, or assist in repair of their error. But were pleasant when selling the proprietary parts for repair.

2) Top end quality was poor, with loose tolerances and low compression.
    Lower end was fair to good, as the crank appeared to have some quality. Although I do not approved of their indexing methods. (I'll get a picture if I get another chance) The cases look like they were blasted with steel shot for a cleaning method. On a machined surface??

3) The cause of failure was a lean condition, because the carbs were not jetted for the incorrect engine.

4) Longevity of the build was ~35hrs

Over-all was negative, as I feel they should have attemted to correct their mistake by, at least, assisting with the repair. Or offered the parts at a reduced cost.

sbt sux

I own a small shop on lake martin. a couple of years ago we started selling sbt rebuilds and made damn good money doing so ,that is till they started coming back,and boy did they ever.Of course you lnow who was looking at me to make it right.Thes clowns damn near put me out of bussiness between there shoddy workmanship and the lazy attitude toward sending out replacement engines.I have not and will not do bussiness with them again.

well you know the saying, if you want something done right you do it yourself

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information