+1

XPL Jetpump issue

So, i took my jet pump off my 98XPL today to swap the 15/20 to a stock impeller and i noticed the brand new 10 hour old SBT wear ring i installed this time last year and half of the ring pulled out about less than an 1/8". Can i just tap it back in? or do i need to get a new wear ring? This wear ring was installed with 5200 sealant.

Warner Robins, GA Home of the 2007 All-Star Little League World Champions!
    If the ring isn't damaged then sure you can drill new holes in a different location. I don't really know about the sealant, or to be more accurate, where you applied it...

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by 96XPSS View Post
    If the ring isn't damaged then sure you can drill new holes in a different location. I don't really know about the sealant, or to be more accurate, where you applied it...

at the time i had a friend who owns a marina rebuild the jetpump and he put the 5200 all around the outside of the wear ring. I didnt see him use any set screws when he put it back together....are they there stock?

Warner Robins, GA Home of the 2007 All-Star Little League World Champions!
    Quote Originally Posted by Slow 91 View Post
    at the time i had a friend who owns a marina rebuild the jetpump and he put the 5200 all around the outside of the wear ring. I didnt see him use any set screws when he put it back together....are they there stock?
    Not if your pump is bronze. It is...correct? In 99 and later they went to a plastic stator vane pump and used set screws to retain the ring in place.

On bronze pumps, there should be a gasket to seal the pump to the pump shoe. I've never had a 98, but many here have. Hopefully they will see this thread and be able to advise you more accurately.

+1
    there are no set screws on a stock 98 xpl pump. i dont recall there being a gasket there. i do remember black silicone though.

+1
    Here is an odd one for you guys.

The stock (I assume since it was on the boat when I got it) pump on my '99 XPL was bronze and it had the rubber seal on the front and screws in it just like every plastice 155mm pump I have ever had.

It is long gone since it was the cause of the near sinking in Charleston oh so many years ago (the thrust bearing completely failed, disintigrated, which led to my policy of disassembly and inspection of every pump that is new to me).

I have heard that the '98s did not use the rubber seal but were siliconed to the pump shoe. I think you can use the seal on a plastic pump on a '98 and could perhaps also use it on the stock pump but have no real data on that, just a guess.

If he sealed the WR into the pump I would assume he was trying to keep it from spinning. The screws are a better way to do this and cause a lot less mess and clean up when it is time for a new ring. The bronze pump can be retrofitted with the screws so that may be the way to go.

Just IMO, but I would not use ANYTHING with the letters S and B and T in its source description. I suggest you send that ring to the circular file container and get an OE ring and see about setting it up with the 4 stainless screws to secure the wear ring which was SD's solution for the spin and it worked quite well.

Thread Information