Exclamation 1100STX Won't shut off!

So, my friend and I finished rebuilding a 1997 STX 1100 that we purchased about a month ago. Everything went back together well, but today when we pulled it out to fire it up we ran into a problem.....
    1. WHen we pumped the primer and turned it over it started right up (So far so good).
    2. Turned the hose on and made sure water was coming through..it did (so far so good)
    3. Revved it up a few times, sounded great (So far so good)
    4. All of a sudden it starts revving up higher and higher, tapped the throttle only to have it rev up more!!! Pulled the lanyard (NOTHING SKI TILL REVVING UP!!)...fumbled with the on off key to turn it off (NOTHING! STILL REVVING UP!!).....finally tapped throttle again and it calmed down...then it died.....
    5. Upon inspection, the throttle cable seems free and clear...not sure what is going on....the ski was sitting for almost a year...could this be a carb problem?

+1
    High revving without throttle means you have an air leak on the intake side. Look for loose carbs, bad gaskets, etc.

Not being able to shut it off could be hot carbon particles in the cylinders that are igniting the fuel (dieseling). Since you just finished working on it, perhaps you have a bad connection on the ground wire for the kill circuit.

This is what is called a runaway engine. It mostly will do this while sitting on the trailer. Like stated it you have a air leak. It can be between the intake and the motor, or the intake and the carbs like a gasket not seated properly. Check the base gaskets below the carbs first and make sure it is torqued down to specs.

If it ever happens again just grab a handful of throttle and open it WOT. It will kill it instantly.

+1
    You can also slow or stop the motor with the choke.

Quote Originally Posted by grumpy_steven View Post
    You can also slow or stop the motor with the choke.

I don't think they have a choke. Then mentioned in the first post about a primer.

That's true...no choke...just a primer...UPDATE..took it out yesterday and started it on the trailer (in the water)...let it idle and there was no "Death rev"...so we sprayed Car cleaner around the intake area...still no "Death Rev"...

It ran well most of the day but at the end it bogged down and wouldnt run above 35 mph.

Figured there might be something in the fuel filter so brought her home and looked into that...found that the tubes sitting on top of the carbs were brittle and pieces of the black plastic had broken off and fell into the carbs....

So we cleaned things out the best we could and took it back out today...but would not run above 35 mph...
    So tomorrow we are handing this off to a professional shop and letting them handle it from there....

This was supposedly a freshly rebuilt motor....seems odd that the mechanic would have missed the first thing he saw when he pulled the intake cover off.

+1
    It won't 'Death Rev' when the pump is in the water.

Quote Originally Posted by steve45 View Post
    It won't 'Death Rev' when the pump is in the water.
    +1

It will only do this while out of water even on the hose.

Do you install the motor or did a shop. Normally that is part of the rebuild process is replacing all your lines fuel, cooling, etc.

I have an Ultra 150 that did this to me on the trailer also. When I initially installed the intake manifold, I didn't tighten it down all the way (I later found out) and as soon as I started it up and I gave it some gas, it took off like it had a mind of its own. I would look over the intake manifold, check for any cracks and look over the gaskets. It wouldn't hurt to go over the carbs and make sure they are sitting on tightly. Next time it runs like that on you and you have no choke, throw your palm over the carbs. It will give you huge hickeys, but its better than a meltdown! LOL

Get it back from the shop yet?

Thread Information