Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    +1

Help with pump lube

I will be replacing the seals in my stator (FZS) and also the lube (had water in the pump and see a very small problem with a seal). Service manual calls for "EPNOC grease AP #10". Called two dealers in my area and one had never heard of it but was kinda sure it was on his "spring order" and the other one said his service manual called for "Yamalube A" but didn't know what it was.

Really wanted to change the seals out tomorrow and thought it would be as easy as picking up the lube from a dealer...

Has anyone ever changed this lube and if so, what did you use? Hoping for something that's readily available.

+1
    Any good quality Marine grease will be fine.. Lots of GPR folks mix the grease with oil to thin it out.

+1
    Hey 5001craig

What made you check the stator bearings?. I was flushing mine yesterday and it sounded different. I was thinking maybe I should look at the stator bearings. I am glad you brought this up. Could you see where the seals failed.

+1
    From past history. Went through two sets of these bearings on my SLX--one because I didn't pull the tail cone when I purchased the ski in 2007 and the second one was my fault (which I would rather not go into now but it had to do with mucho trim in shallow water).

On my FZS, I pulled the three screws off my tail cone and when I did this, the tail cone popped off from pressure inside the cone. There was water inside. When I inspected (very closely) the seal on the motor side I saw a very minor damage to this seal. I truly believe it was this way from the factory. I would recommend pulling the tail cone and checking if water is inside. Damage is about 8 o'clock in the pic. I love pics.

+1
    is there a washer that sits over the seal like the GPR's have?

I use Amsoil Series 2000 Synthetic Racing Grease, NLGI #2, GC/LB (GRG) and Amsoil Universal Synthetic Marine Gear Lube SAE 75W/80W-90 (AGM) mix it 50/50 and it works well, I have several years of service from it in my pumps now.

+1
    Thanks 5001craig, I checked mine today all looks good. Lots of grease around the rear bearing and the tail cone about half full. I should have replace the O ring on the cone but didn't have one. It was still a tight fit.

Quote Originally Posted by 5001craig View Post
    From past history. Went through two sets of these bearings on my SLX--one because I didn't pull the tail cone when I purchased the ski in 2007 and the second one was my fault (which I would rather not go into now but it had to do with mucho trim in shallow water).

On my FZS, I pulled the three screws off my tail cone and when I did this, the tail cone popped off from pressure inside the cone. There was water inside. When I inspected (very closely) the seal on the motor side I saw a very minor damage to this seal. I truly believe it was this way from the factory. I would recommend pulling the tail cone and checking if water is inside. Damage is about 8 o'clock in the pic. I love pics.

Mine leaked with factory seals as have others. Also leaked after replacing the seals

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by OsideBill View Post
    is there a washer that sits over the seal like the GPR's have?

I use Amsoil Series 2000 Synthetic Racing Grease, NLGI #2, GC/LB (GRG) and Amsoil Universal Synthetic Marine Gear Lube SAE 75W/80W-90 (AGM) mix it 50/50 and it works well, I have several years of service from it in my pumps now.
    Awesome information--thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by SHOBiz View Post
    Mine leaked with factory seals as have others. Also leaked after replacing the seals
    Hmm...

SHOBiz--did you go with the new for '10 washer when you replaced the seals? I got one and am thinking that the harder material the new spacer is made from is supposed to keep it from deflecting, and the deflecting is letting water get past?

Some day I hope to add more than just questions to this forum.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by 5001craig View Post

I pulled the washer off and greased the heck out of that seal since I had the impeller off anyway. I also pulled the tail cone and all looked fine.

+1
    The best grease I have seen for marine apps is Evinrude and Johnson Triple Guard Grease. I used it on my Honda for years and it does not break down. It lasts a very long time as others break down sooner. Most grease is water resistant. This stuff is waterproof. I think BRP owns it now. If your talking about grease for the spline. I always have a hard time finding it in stores.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information