Thread: hydro turf

hydro turf

what is an easy way to get the old Yamaha mats /film and glue off so I can install my new hydro turf mats ? I have a 2000 XLL ,also what about a trick for popping out the center strip in the rub rail

+1
    Use the search function as this has been discussed a number of times before...so you should get some hits. I recall some people talking about a product you can get at Home Depot that does a great job.

If your not doing something, its hard to screw up. stlouisramsfan's Avatar
    my old mats pealed off easy but left the glue behind(99 XLL) so i used a hair dryer style Heat gun and it peeled right off with a putty knife, then a little acetone took the sticky residue right off, 2 hours at most to do it.... probably closer to 1.5

Quote Originally Posted by stlouisramsfan View Post
    my old mats pealed off easy but left the glue behind(99 XLL) so i used a hair dryer style Heat gun and it peeled right off with a putty knife, then a little acetone took the sticky residue right off, 2 hours at most to do it.... probably closer to 1.5

Hi Im doing the same trying to remove glue residue do you just wipe off using acetone?
    or is there another method tried gas , goof off, acetone and its a real pain .
    also do the hydro mats in the rear fold into rubber strip like original?
    if yes how did you remove the old mat?

Can i install new mats over some old glue resedue?

Thanks
    Butch

Just use a putty knife or paint scraper to get the majority of the old stuff off. A heat gun will help with this also. Then use acetone or goof off to get the rest of the stuff off. A little glue left behind is ok because it gives the new stuff something to stick to. I would recommend using something to put pressure on the mats while they dry such as a large bag of salt, soil, etc. These will put pressure and conform to the countours of the ski.

To be honest doing this i know how easy and ahrd it can be, dont bother with heat or chemicals. Go pick up an eraser wheel at an auto body supply store and use that... It is about 4-5 inches yellow and go into a drill or grinder, use it at low rpm and it will make your day quite a better one! don't use high rpm or you will be doing body work as well... I use these all the time and they work wonders!

Thanks for the Info. could not figure out where to get the wheel in Orlando,
    so i used a blade and gasoline- after 2 hrs got it all off.
    The problemwas, when I removed mats the plastic film remained so acetone did not work
    ,that had to be scraped off first.

Now for install do I need to remove rear bumper and fold new hydor turf like the original?
    Or does the new mat butt up to bumper?
    If it needs to be removed how do I do that ?
    Remove rivits?
    How to reinstall with out rivits?

Thanks again for all the help

yeah drill the rivits out replace with new rivits or bolts depending on what you feel like... 2 hours not too bad for all that stuff to remove you ddi a good job, the wheels can only be found at wholesale paint and auto body stores... just picked up another new one today since last one wore out...can take pics if anyone wants to see... im sure many people here use them since i used it to remove decals from the ski trailor and anything thats adhesive on the ski ever! they are a god sent gift!

The centre section in the rub rail slides out sideways (endways), with a little GENTLE persuasion with a blunt screwdriver and hammer maybe, after you've removed the end caps by drilling the heads off the rivets. Once the centre is out, you can then drill the rest of the rivets, and remove the rail. The new Hydroturf mat kit will have the correct size and quantity of rivets supplied with it. Once you've lapped the mats over the back, re-install the rail OVER them, and it will stop them coming up. It's a simple job, but worth doing right!

Thanks again all done looks great
    I would suggest the psa only because I spilled 1/2 can weldwood all over the garage floor.
    Thanks too my smart wife she had it clean with gas in a with 10 min . While I was @##^&#)$$ LOL

Just FYI I got the Hydro Turf from a great guy Bobby http://extremepartsandaccessories.com/ also has an ebay store
    tell him butch from Orlando refered you he has the best service and price .

I drove to his store about 55 min drive from my home after he told me mats will be there when I got there shipment was late.
    He offered to deliver it to me at my home personally. Great Service I really lucked out with finding the best in service around me for my PWC BOBBY at http://extremepartsandaccessories.com/ call 352 6024878 also the best in tech.and service in the business
    JIM OR MIKE'S PERFORMANCE
    36258 US 19 N. PALM HARBOR, FL 34684
    BUSINESS # (727)786-1177 CELL # (727)365-5132

Thread Information