+1

96 SLX low rev limits @ 4150 rpm

Hello to everyone!
    I just registered a few ago as everyone can probably tell. I do a little work on various PWCs but rarely work on any Polaris models. I decided to post here since I have the same model and problem decribed in one of the post. Sorry if I scewed up! hehe.
    Ok, I got a 96 SLX that starts right up but the rev limiter starts working at 4150 rpm. I do have a low fuel warning and a red flashing LED but no other faults or warnings are displayed. Is it possible to program the rev limiter at the MFD? I dont think they had the this technology in 96. I read something about the gray wire too. I just need some pointers on where to look.
    Thanks!

+1

96 SLX low rev limits @ 4150 rpm

Hello to everyone!
    I just registered a few ago as everyone can probably tell. I do a little work on various PWCs but rarely work on any Polaris models.
    Ok, I got a 96 SLX that starts right up but the rev limiter starts working at 4150 rpm. I do have a low fuel warning and a red flashing LED but no other faults or warnings are displayed. Is it possible to program the rev limiter at the MFD? I dont think they had the this technology in 96. I read something about the gray wire too. I just need some pointers on where to look.
    Thanks!

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by JH1200A1 View Post
    but the rev limiter starts working at 4150 rpm. I do have a low fuel warning and a red flashing LED but no other faults or warnings are displayed.
    The fuel sending unit float is bad, that's why the 4150 rpm limit. Randy at Watcon sells replacement floats for $25.00.

+1
    Welcome to the hulk.

Use the search function on the main page and you can reads threads about this and many more subjects! If notm a member will chime in if they know your issue with your ski like tony did!.

Yea, what Tony said! Fix the red light and "more than likely" the rev limit goes away. Unless the LR-54 module is bad like it was on mine last month!

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by JH1200A1 View Post
    ...1996 SLX that starts right up but the rev limiter starts working at 4150 rpm.

I do have a low fuel warning and a red flashing LED but no other faults or warnings are displayed.

Is it possible to program the rev limiter at the MFD?

I don't think they had the this technology in 96.

I read something about the gray wire too.

I just need some pointers on where to look.
    Thanks!
    Welcome to the Hulk

Normally the best thing for a newcomer is to create a new thread in the General section, rather than hijack someone else's thread.
    A moderator may move this to a separate thread...

Polaris certainly had RPM limiters on the 1996 SLX 780 model, but it is not adjustable from the MFD display.

There are two RPM limiters inside the CDI module; The hard limiter at engine red line, and a lower RPM limiter that is triggered by several conditions, depending on the model.

High temperature signal will always trigger RPM limiting. The temp sender has a Tan wire running into the electrical box.

On the 1996 SLX 780, Low Fuel level will also invoke RPM limiting at about 4200RPM.

The Gray wire into the CDI module (Tan on some models) is the actual RPM limit signal. If you disconnect the Gray wire into the CDI, then the warning RPM limiter is bypassed. The red line RPM limit is always active.

In your case, it sounds like you need to put more fuel in the fuel tank.

Note that it is common for the fuel level float to become heavy, and no longer actually float. When this happens, the sender reading is low, even when the tank has lots of fuel.

You can replace just the float.

Click the links below for more info

Polaris Domestic (red) engine

MFD Fuel level reads low, but the fuel tank is full
    The original float inside the sender unit can become gas-logged, and no longer floats in the gasoline.
    Polaris replacement part number is 2872860

Also available from Watcon

I just bought a Polaris PWC - what should I do?

+1
    Thanks for everyones reply! I will check it out with the information given and see what I come up with. The fuel sending unit being bad makes perfect since. It came in with a low fuel warning and still had one after I put 3 gallons or fuel in. Thanks and I'll let yall know what I find. Oh, Thanks for your concern on hijacking the thread whithout jumping slap down my throat. I did that before I found out how to post in General Discussion.

Thread Information