Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Timing marks

Timing marks

Okay, despite being very careful, using a dial gauge and making sure the cam indents are lined up I think I could be one tooth off on the cam timing.

For all of those people that talk about how they have rebuilt these engines - Are there any marks on the crank/block to assist me in determining true TDC?

I can redo this with a dial gauge no problem, but I would like some insurance that it is indeed correct this time.

Looks dead on to me, but something isn't right... 65 mph at about 7500rpm. This is the same setup that was doing over 80mph ~8500rpm

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by SHOBiz View Post
    For all of those people that talk about how they have rebuilt these engines - Are there any marks on the crank/block to assist me in determining true TDC?
    None that I know of but it sure would be nice.

Quote Originally Posted by SHOBiz View Post
    I can redo this with a dial gauge no problem, but I would like some insurance that it is indeed correct this time.
    Have you already redone the cam timing? From what I can see in the pics it looks correct. I do know that the cam timing is pretty tricky on these engines. I botched my first attempt and had to redo the cam timing to get it right.

Quote Originally Posted by Green Hulk View Post
    None that I know of but it sure would be nice.

Have you already redone the cam timing? From what I can see in the pics it looks correct. I do know that the cam timing is pretty tricky on these engines. I botched my first attempt and had to redo the cam timing to get it right.
    Yes, I have in right smack dab in the middle or TDC. It is damn tricky.

To eliminate a fuel issue I have a PM in to Nils to get a harness lead and sensor for the fuel pressure so it can be logged and not just use a gauge.

Since I have the time I am going to pull the intake mani today just to double check the gasket and such.

+1
    I don't know what a CAM is, so I am going to go ahead and leave this thread.

+1
    Have you guys played with timing much? Falcon makes adjustable timing gears so you can play around with timing and get them dead perfect. We do all our sportbikes ...and at times even run dual intake cams for the increased lift over the stock exhast cams. I'm sure that's coming for this FZR engine if not out already.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Carlos Thomas View Post

The cam is what actually what moves the bucks down to open the valves. It's attached to the crank via a chain on most eninges "some use gears" to keep things in time with the proper stroke. These engines use a "shim under bucket" style that allows adjustments on the two parts to "bucket & cam lobe" so the assembly has proper clearances once warmed up. The shims go under the "bucket" and you measure and then cross reference the book to get desired ranges by chaning out shims as the engine wears.

M

Quote Originally Posted by Carlos Thomas View Post

UR funnie

+1
    I found humor in typing to him lol

Which cylinder is no. 1. From the pic above you are using the cylinder nearest the timing chain, but the manual pictures seem to use the opposite end. I need to know as I am currently rebuilding the head and my timing marks washed off

Quote Originally Posted by steelroe View Post
    Which cylinder is no. 1. From the pic above you are using the cylinder nearest the timing chain, but the manual pictures seem to use the opposite end. I need to know as I am currently rebuilding the head and my timing marks washed off
    number 1 (which old mate is using) will be at top dead the same time as number 4

your lobe centres for stock cams should be about 123 in... 118 EX

just make sure you are rotating the engine in its normal operating direction when checking the timing and getting top dead or you will get a false reading

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information