When to use a pump wedge?

I was thinking about getting a pump wedge but dont know if I should. I have the stock 3 degree nozzle right now. I only ride in lakes flat mostly, some mild chop. Will it decrease ride in chop or anything I wouldnt want?

Quote Originally Posted by shavedupsdime View Post
    I was thinking about getting a pump wedge but dont know if I should. I have the stock 3 degree nozzle right now. I only ride in lakes flat mostly, some mild chop. Will it decrease ride in chop or anything I wouldnt want?
    There is actually a few good threads about what each 2º, 1º, -1º and -2º wedge will do for you.

Quote Originally Posted by philip_gpr View Post
    I have GPR / XL pump wedges available in 2 degree, 1 degree, -1 degree and -2 degree angles.

In my wedge design I included the ability to use the dowel pins.

The 1 and 2 degree wedges use a different profile which will allow them to be used with an aftermarket rideplate without having to do a lot of grinding.

Here are some thoughts on when it would be appropriate to try each size. As I receive more feedback from the testing that is being done I will update these suggestions.

2 Degree

Possible use with GPR hull set-up for top speed on flat water - it is unclear at this time what specific hull set-up is required to make this wedge work well - more testing is required

On a GPR hull with the stock rideplate this wedge will provide a 1 to 1 1/2 mph speed gain

On a XL ski in combination with a 3 degree nozzle, this combination works well

So far testing shows this wedge does not work well with SH and FZR hulls

1 Degree

Possible use with GPR hull set-up for top speed on flat water - it is unclear at this time what specific hull set-up is required to make this wedge work well - more testing is required

Use with XL in combination with a 3 degree nozzle (better choice than 2 degree if you ride 2 or 3 up a lot)

Possible application with SHO and FZR hulls when using the stock plate

Do not use with SHO and FZR if the OEM plate has been angled or if using an aftermarket plate with more angle than the OEM plate

- 1 Degree

Use on GPR hull in rough water conditions

Use on GPR hull when racing closed course

Use on SHO or FZR if you are fighting a hop and you can’t get the hull to settle down

Possible use on a conversion ski that needs help reducing lift to keep the ski on the water

- 2 Degree

Use on GPR hull in rough water conditions

Use on GPR hull when racing closed course

Use on SHO or FZR hull when racing closed course

http://greenhulk.net/forums/showthread.php?t=96665

Thread Information