Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Want a new ski.....250X? 260LX?

Well, the 12F isn't cutting it for me. Go figure.....

I feel the need for the Hayabusa of the water! I will be buying new and we have old stock to choose from around here. What do I get?

250X and older 260X Have pump issues? Do I hold out and pony up for a 2010? 250's can be had new for less than $9K OTD and older 260's for less than $10K, so those are appealing. Is the shaft/bearing fix all that is needed?

I own a drivetrain shop and have lots of tools. I do all work myself and will do anything that is needed. I have no issues buying tools and shop manuals for the job unless they cost $1000's....then I would think about taking it in for repairs.

We don't ride in salt water, but we do get to ride at least 7 months of the year on the lakes.

How much of maintenance do these beasts require? I'm used to bikes that require almost nothing other that valve checks/adjustments, oil changes, tires, and obvious chain maintenance. Are these PWC similar? I would rather ride than work on it.

What do the experts recomend?

Thanks,

Tony

If only 1K difference in price, might as well get the 260 for its improved hull and pistons. Also you gain that value back if you sell cause its one year newer, (09). I try to look for a leftover if the price is significantly lower and there are no major improvements. The pump shaft is an easy fix, although I have 118 hours and never had to touch it yet. But I did have the head crack problem. I would recommend the extended warranty on these beasts. They are fun but can have some issues as they are rather a new model.

+1
    Where you at Tony?

I think once they got to the 260's most of the bugs got worked out, hopefully Skip or one of those guys that knows a ton about Ultra's will ping your thread...

Thanks guys!

I talked to my local dealer this afternoon. They jerked me around on the last deal for the 12F's, so I went somewhere else. I told the salesman this would be their chance to redeem themselves, and they let me down again. The offer was $2500 or less in trade for my 12F w/15 hours on it and full rape, $14,600 OTD for the 2010 260X. Needless to say I laughed and walked out.

Got the dealer down south working on something else for me. We'll see.

44 deg. and raining today, so i got time.

I'm in Redding, CA and I filled a little more of the profile stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Red08Ultra250 View Post
    If only 1K difference in price, might as well get the 260 for its improved hull and pistons. Also you gain that value back if you sell cause its one year newer, (09). I try to look for a leftover if the price is significantly lower and there are no major improvements. The pump shaft is an easy fix, although I have 118 hours and never had to touch it yet. But I did have the head crack problem. I would recommend the extended warranty on these beasts. They are fun but can have some issues as they are rather a new model.
    Great! I didn't know there was a change in the hull. I had read the shaft/bearing deal wasn't that bad. Cost to fix?

Extended warranty is very pricey for PWC! The bikes are usually $500 for 3 years. I remember the Kawi plan starting way above that for 1 year?

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyCooter View Post
    Great! I didn't know there was a change in the hull. I had read the shaft/bearing deal wasn't that bad. Cost to fix?

Extended warranty is very pricey for PWC! The bikes are usually $500 for 3 years. I remember the Kawi plan starting way above that for 1 year?

Look into a 2009, they have a 1000 rebate at the moment. You should be able to get out the door for $10500.00 or better. Use the saved money and get the pump upgraded.

As for your 12F, Im sorry but they are in the range of what trade in value is. Better off selling out private and getting more.

Cooter, all the previous Posts are good and I agree. I would get the 260 like the Post above this one suggests. But i would keep the 12F too if you can. That 12F is reliable as the sun, gets about 8 mpg, and you probably don't have to even lift the seat but once a season. The 260 is going to be a much much different story. It is thirstier than an Irishman on St Patrick's day and you will be lifting that seat off more often than you are probably used too (all the reasons why can be found here if you surf this site). So B 4 U start to think that I don't like the 260, it is actually the opposite. I have one and love it, and have a 15F too. The 15F is so simple; love the simplicity of that boat. I ride quite a bit and I would say that for every 1 hour I spend on the Ultra, I spend about 5 hours on the 15F. And most of the hours on the Ultra 260 is because I "need" to be on that boat verses "want" to be. I see so many people these days who are "over boated"; they have more boat than they really need. If you can tell us what kind of riding you do, and probably most important, what kinds of boats your friends have, we can really nail this down and give you the best possible recommendation for you. jb

Quote Originally Posted by john belton View Post
    Cooter, all the previous Posts are good and I agree. I would get the 260 like the Post above this one suggests. But i would keep the 12F too if you can. That 12F is reliable as the sun, gets about 8 mpg, and you probably don't have to even lift the seat but once a season. The 260 is going to be a much much different story. It is thirstier than an Irishman on St Patrick's day and you will be lifting that seat off more often than you are probably used too (all the reasons why can be found here if you surf this site). So B 4 U start to think that I don't like the 260, it is actually the opposite. I have one and love it, and have a 15F too. The 15F is so simple; love the simplicity of that boat. I ride quite a bit and I would say that for every 1 hour I spend on the Ultra, I spend about 5 hours on the 15F. And most of the hours on the Ultra 260 is because I "need" to be on that boat verses "want" to be. I see so many people these days who are "over boated"; they have more boat than they really need. If you can tell us what kind of riding you do, and probably most important, what kinds of boats your friends have, we can really nail this down and give you the best possible recommendation for you. jb
    I was already thinking of keeping the 12F. For $2500 trade I would definitely keep it!

As far as working on the ski, I don't mind doing some work, but I don't want to do hours per week and a rebuild every season just to keep it alive. I understand HP cost money an takes it's toll. HP takes fuel, although that isn't a real concern. The 12F can drink 10 gph at WOT....I bet the 260X can do twice that.

As far as my riding, it is just stress relief from running my business after work. I'll ride pretty hard then stop and have dinner and cruise home. We do this a couple nights a week.......maybe 1-2 hours per outing. Every once in a while I'll meet up with a buddy and ride more aggressively for a longer period of time. I don't really ride with friends all that often, just the wife on her 12F. She cruises in a strait line while I shred the contour of the shoreline and we meet up once in a while. We also like to tour the lake which has 365 miles of shoreline when full.

I'm just used to having more performance from a machine. I used to ride a Hayabusa and miss the days when what I was riding actually raised my heart rate.

+1
    I agree with john. as you can tell by my name i had once had a 12f and loved it for its reliability. i owned it 5 years and never had one problem with it. never even bothered winterizing it. when i traded it in in 08 i only got 3500 bucks for it. wished i would have kept it. i love my 15f though. with just a few boltons such as a rideplate and intake will make a difference. if you like the hull of 12f just get a 15f. i guess it comes down to where u ride at as far as how much of a hull you need.

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyCooter View Post
    I was already thinking of keeping the 12F. For $2500 trade I would definitely keep it!

As far as working on the ski, I don't mind doing some work, but I don't want to do hours per week and a rebuild every season just to keep it alive. I understand HP cost money an takes it's toll. HP takes fuel, although that isn't a real concern. The 12F can drink 10 gph at WOT....I bet the 260X can do twice that.

As far as my riding, it is just stress relief from running my business after work. I'll ride pretty hard then stop and have dinner and cruise home. We do this a couple nights a week.......maybe 1-2 hours per outing. Every once in a while I'll meet up with a buddy and ride more aggressively for a longer period of time. I don't really ride with friends all that often, just the wife on her 12F. She cruises in a strait line while I shred the contour of the shoreline and we meet up once in a while. We also like to tour the lake which has 365 miles of shoreline when full.

I'm just used to having more performance from a machine. I used to ride a Hayabusa and miss the days when what I was riding actually raised my heart rate.
    Yes I see. Alot of us here have been bitten by the Horsepower Bug. There is no known cure, but you are certainly in safe harbor here! It won't take "hours and hours" per week. and the fact that you are riding in freshwater makes it even easier. I would change the oil at 20 hour intervals. And I would leave the seat "off" when you are not riding it. You don't want any corrosion forming around / on the Pulley area(s). Corrosion will decrease the life of the Belt. When the Belt breaks you have to limp home at 7 knots! A properly maintained Belt / corrosion free will last about 100 hours . . .

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information