Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 17
  1. #1

    Polaris sl650 mystery

    So i was given two pwc's as a trade for an old wrecked car, a blaster in great condition (which I ride) and a polaris sl650 (so i dont have to ride alone)

    Heres my problem: when i got it it wouldnt turn over like it was hydro locked, however when i popped off the plugs and cranked it i got this:



    since then I have been using hoses, vacuums, turkey basters, everything to try to get the mystery gunk out. so any idea what it is? Im hoping its not rusted out (the hull isnt in good enough shape to justify rebuilding)

    Also, since oiling and cranking for a while, the gunk has turned a lighter brown and is drastically reduced but it fouls the plugs every time the piston rises to the top. I just want this thing to run and all the techniques to get out water dont work since its alot thicker. ideas?


  2. #2
    ryandi2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    conesus ny!
    Posts
    2,092
    +1
    19
    welcome,

    it looks like water and oil, and you dont know how long its been like this?

    i hate too say this but your crank is prob shot..
    Last edited by ryandi2; 04-03-2010 at 06:24 AM. Reason: spelling

  3. #3
    Hayabusa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Trenton Michigan
    Posts
    493
    Quote Originally Posted by ryandi2 View Post
    welcome,

    it looks like water and oil, and you dont know how long its been luke this?

    i hate too say this but your crank is prob shot..

    +1

  4. #4
    yeah I was afraid of that, its been sitting for at least a year that i know of and maybe longer... so without rebuilding it what are my options?
    Im not the kinda person to sell a ski knowing it is gonna break on someone so selling it isnt really an option unless someone wants a project. how long would i be able to run it before the crank disintegrates on me?

    im open to anything, buying another used ski wouldnt be that bad if i get some kinda return on this one.

    neither would running this one for a season while i save my money for a new one.

    and if it is possible to coax another year out of it, how do i get that crap out to actually start the thing?

  5. #5
    ryandi2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    conesus ny!
    Posts
    2,092
    +1
    19
    Quote Originally Posted by Nocalnative89 View Post
    yeah I was afraid of that, its been sitting for at least a year that i know of and maybe longer... so without rebuilding it what are my options?
    Im not the kinda person to sell a ski knowing it is gonna break on someone so selling it isnt really an option unless someone wants a project. how long would i be able to run it before the crank disintegrates on me?

    im open to anything, buying another used ski wouldnt be that bad if i get some kinda return on this one.

    neither would running this one for a season while i save my money for a new one.

    and if it is possible to coax another year out of it, how do i get that crap out to actually start the thing?
    its hard too tell but you prob dont have very long.. my guess 35 mins of run time on the water.. but its hard to tell with out taking the ski apart. i think the only way you would be able too clean all the gunk out 100% is to tear the motor down and clean and inspect the crank,

    another option is to sell the ski and tell the people looking at it that you have no idea what the condition of it is, and sell it as a project ski, or part it out, sell your blaster save a little bit and get a newer ski for 2 grand, i bought my sl1050 four a grand with a trailer and cover-running and the body in ok decent shape, i bought my sltx four a grand in great shape but needed some motor work. the deals are out there,

    not that the 650 is a bad ski or anything (i had one) but you would be more happy building a bigger cc ski and having more hp then trying to get this 650 back up and running jmo

  6. #6
    You bring up a good point. I found another sl650 for 900 near where i live but my dad is still pushin me to rebuild. how much would it cost to rebuild (since cost and time are my main concerns)

    A bigger ski would be awesome but im not quite into it enough to need anything more than the blaster and a running companion ski.

  7. #7
    Newbee PWC wrencher gregsauls's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Texarkana,Tx
    Posts
    100
    I just went through this on an sl750. Same brown gunk. Got it up and running, put it in the water and got about 45 minutes of run time before it seized.

    Pulled engine, tore it down, found all pistons and cylinders to be within spec so just replaced crankshaft, seals and gaskets. Rebuild carbs... Here is some costs. Price are ball park due to memory blockage/old age/alzimers/kids.

    Exchange crank from SBT... $325 shipped
    crank seals (3 needed)... $25/each
    full gasket set from Ebay... $70
    1211 case seal... $20
    carb kits (3 needed)... $45/each
    blue locktite.... $10

    Excuses to buy some new, needed tools..... priceless!

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by gregsauls View Post
    I just went through this on an sl750. Same brown gunk. Got it up and running, put it in the water and got about 45 minutes of run time before it seized.

    Pulled engine, tore it down, found all pistons and cylinders to be within spec so just replaced crankshaft, seals and gaskets. Rebuild carbs... Here is some costs. Price are ball park due to memory blockage/old age/alzimers/kids.

    Exchange crank from SBT... $325 shipped
    crank seals (3 needed)... $25/each
    full gasket set from Ebay... $70
    1211 case seal... $20
    carb kits (3 needed)... $45/each
    blue locktite.... $10

    Excuses to buy some new, needed tools..... priceless!
    New tools are always good! haha thanks for the info, depressing as it is. at that price on this particular ski i feel like my best option is to try to sell it as a project and replace it. (unfortunate since i spent my last two weeks hunting and replacing the starter before i realized this issue )

    thanks everyone for the input

  9. #9
    Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    near Toronto, Canada
    Posts
    36,587
    +1
    1,272
    Quote Originally Posted by Nocalnative89 View Post
    ...without rebuilding it what are my options?...
    Find another short block or complete engine to replace your rusted up engine.

    There is no point in trying to get that engine running. The crank bearings are going to be rusted badly, and that is the most expensive single component inside the engine.

    If the rest of the hull is not in good shape, then you may be better off parting out what can be salvaged, and hunting for another PWC in better condition.

    If you want to be sure, pull the engine out of the hull. Remove the manifolds, turn it over, drain the liquids out. Then pull the cylinders off and evaluate the crank shaft.

    If you decide to part it out, then the engine has to come out anyways. If you find a replacement engine, then your old engine has to come out.

    If you decide to rebuild it, then the engine has to come out.

    In all scenarios, except just towing it straight to the junk yard, the engine has to come out.

  10. #10

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Polaris SL650 Oil Type! Help!
    By kepneriphone in forum Polaris Open Discussion
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 07-27-2007, 11:33 AM
  2. Got to try it out! polaris sl650
    By shphd57 in forum Polaris Open Discussion
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 07-19-2007, 01:44 PM
  3. 1995 polaris sl650
    By shphd57 in forum Polaris Open Discussion
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 06-30-2007, 11:13 PM
  4. need help polaris sl650 and sltx1050
    By grifter in forum Polaris How To & FAQs
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 04-29-2007, 09:12 PM
  5. polaris sl650
    By nitro188nitro in forum Polaris How To & FAQs
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 03-07-2007, 07:12 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •