Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

SC Wheel Change - Need some input

I just installed the R2 with all the standard NA mods. I plan on installing the Riva B1 wheel/powershot after I get some data with the R2. I am also installing a A/F logger along with the R2.

I have some questions for those that are already there:

1. Is changing the wheel and the intercooler at the same time an advantage time wise. In other words does it take longer to do the two tasks at different times.

2. I have the O2 sensor adapter installed and have the Innovate system on order. I am very familiar with O2 installs and the clearance for the sensor looks minimal at best. Is there an interference issue on the FZ.

3. I feel both the R&D and Riva intercooler are way overpriced. I just bought an intercooler for my car that was the same price and 50 times larger and I do understand one is air versus liquid. Should I wait for the JD unit or just do the intercooler mod that increases the performance of the oem intercooler.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack B View Post
    I just installed the R2 with all the standard NA mods. I plan on installing the Riva B1 wheel/powershot after I get some data with the R2. I am also installing a A/F logger along with the R2.

1. Is changing the wheel and the intercooler at the same time an advantage time wise. In other words does it take longer to do the two tasks at different times.

2. I have the O2 sensor adapter installed and have the Innovate system on order. I am very familiar with O2 installs and the clearance for the sensor looks minimal at best. Is there an interference issue on the FZ.

3. I feel both the R&D and Riva intercooler are way overpriced. I just bought an intercooler for my car that was the same price and 50 times larger and I do understand one is air versus liquid. Should I wait for the JD unit or just do the intercooler mod that increases the performance of the oem intercooler.
    I can't speak for question #1 and #2 as I don't personally install my stuff.
    For question #3....If it was me, I would wait for the JD unit to come out and see what the response is to it. I'm pretty sure it will be the way to go, and priced appropriately. I went with the Riva PowerCooler because, at the time, it was the 'best' way to go - for me.

+1

as far as question #1 upgrading the s.c. and intercooler at the same time is cost effective. due to the fact that they are in the same area.
    but, if i was to install one first, i would install the intercooler first, then upgrade the supercharger.

+1
    It depends on the size/fit of the IC whether you'll need to remove the SC housing. The stock IC comes out no problem, but the Riva cooler install for example requires both the SC & manifold be removed to get that big sucker in. It's fairly simple to remove the SC housing if you want to get some results with a new IC before putting in the new wheel...just 5 or 6 bolts securing it once the bracket for the stock IC is out of the way. Just make sure the gasket on the bottom of the SC housing is seated properly when reinstalling.

I have used both the R&D & Riva O2 adaptors & got good stable readings with both.

+1
    It may be different on a SHO, but on the FZ skis it is no issue putting the intercooler in with the manifold installed. However, the nipple on the manifold has to be removed for the cooler to fit so unless you cut it off while still installed (and that is not hard to do with a cutoff wheel) then the manifold has to come out.. But once the nipple is off, holes drilled for sensors, and your ribbon is removed, not much reason the manifold should ever come back out.

Quote Originally Posted by mjh3ides View Post
    It depends on the size/fit of the IC whether you'll need to remove the SC housing. The stock IC comes out no problem, but the Riva cooler install for example requires both the SC & manifold be removed to get that big sucker in. It's fairly simple to remove the SC housing if you want to get some results with a new IC before putting in the new wheel...just 5 or 6 bolts securing it once the bracket for the stock IC is out of the way. Just make sure the gasket on the bottom of the SC housing is seated properly when reinstalling.

I have used both the R&D & Riva O2 adaptors & got good stable readings with both.
    On the O2 adapter, it seems to sit directly under the a bracket, therefore, making the sensor hard to thread into the adapter.

+1
    On the O2 adapter, it seems to sit directly under the a bracket, therefore, making the sensor hard to thread into the adapter.
    I noticed this exact same thing also.

Is the sensor just hand-tightened into the adapter? I can't see how to get a wrench on it.

+1
    There is another piece you need to buy that goes into the RIVA/R&D adapter. It brings the sensor farther out to 1) allow you to get a wrench on it and 2) gets the sensor farther away from the heat

You can figure out one on your own with water pipe parts or you can order one here for around $60

http://www.dynotunenitrous.com/store.../contactus.asp

+1
    It's not that hard to work on the exhaust side of the engine...a lot more room than the intake side. The rectifier/cooling block won't be in the way. IMO, the Riva adaptor is MUCH easier to work with because it has a hex shape on the adaptor itself to get a wrench on. The R&D drove me nuts because when you torque it in using the bolt & lock nut they give you, the adaptor piece wants to turn back out when you try to loosen the lock nut. There was another thread where a guy had the R&D adaptor loosen up, fly out & smack the bottom of the rectifier; it's very hard to get it in there tight.

I've been using an LM-2 for tuning which I don't leave on the ski all the time, so I've installed & removed the sensor many times. Since the hex fitting on the sensor sits down inside the Riva adaptor making it impossible to get a wrench on it, I always just remove the entire thing(sensor & adaptor) & replace it with the OEM bung when I'm not tuning. I just use a stubby crescent wrench to tighten & remove the adaptor...easy peasy.

+1
    MPower--Does everyone use a spacer between the sensor and the adapter? About how far do I want to space the sensor from the adapter?

I can see how this could easily be done with the correct sized bell reducer and a nipple.

Does spacing the sensor away from the heat (and exhaust gasses) does it affect the accuracy of the unit?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information