4 tec different crank questions

heres why im asking, i rebuilt a 4 tec motor for a customer who got his own used crank for me to use, not thinkig, i didnt ask what year it was from, and dont have the old one to compare... heres whats happening.. trying to start, it cranks, but wont start, then throws up code PO344, no camshaft signal, swapped out sensor from a running ski, same thing, ohm'd out sensor wires to ecm, wires good... so im wondering if it is the wrong crank, maybe the timing between crankshaft senosr and camshaft sensor is off?? throwing up the code.. ive rebuilt quite a few of these motors, im not a newbie doing a rebuild, ive double checked all cam/crank timing.. but im concerned about the year of the crank now, i think the difference on the cranks is timing of the crank sensor.. anyone know for sure what the difference is and if thats what could be throwing the code??

Kiwi spanner handler
    +1
    i think if you use the wrong one the dowel will be in the wrong place leaving the magneto (and toothed wheel) in the wrong position and the ecu detects that the tdc signal and cam sensor signal are way off and throws the code you need to take it apart and i have heard you can redrill the pin hole but you will need the old crank or one from same year to compare it.

+1
    That is exactly what is wrong. You can fix it without tearing down the whole motor. send me a pm..

A smart admits!A wicked excuses!An idiot insists! mitsakosgt's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by jasonze View Post
    i think if you use the wrong one the dowel will be in the wrong place leaving the magneto (and toothed wheel) in the wrong position and the ecu detects that the tdc signal and cam sensor signal are way off and throws the code you need to take it apart and i have heard you can redrill the pin hole but you will need the old crank or one from same year to compare it.

thats the problem.i had it on a rxp 05,which i rebuilt.the tooth gear pin is in wrong place and ecu does not recognise to fire the spark plugs.get an other crank and compare the holes.then drill an hole to right place and you are done.after that ski is in the water.
    I hope this helps.

Thread Information