throttle sticking

Hi all,
    I took my skis out today on their maiden voyage. Everything was going fine except for one problem with one of the skis. I noticed that the throttle was sticking on the ski that has a carb on it. I tried popping the throttle, thinking that it would unstick it, but it didn't seem to help. I took it back to the dock and removed the seat to see if I could tell what was going on with it. I'm no mechanic by any means, but I did see some sort of bolt with a spring around it that would move when the throttle was pressed. I also saw an adjustable screw near this spring, which appears to be some sort of throttle adjustment screw that could be made longer or shorter to adjust the throttle. Long story short, the throttle doesn't seem to be returning back to idle (resting against the adjustment screw). I tried some WD-40 on the spring to see if it would help, but didn't seem to make much difference. We were able to still run the skis and after a while, the ski would idle at normal RPM's. Later on though, it acted up again for a minute, popped the throttle, and went back to being OK. Is there something else that I can check/lube? These are my first skis, so I'm a novice with parts of the ski at best. Sorry for the long-winded post, and try not to laugh too hard at my verbage of the engine components.
    Any ideas/thoughts would be appreciated.
    Thanks!

+1
    thats dangerous man. i wouldn't let anyone ride them again till you get it fixed.

i am going to assume it is the gtx in your sig thats acting up. there are three cables that go to the carbs. throttle, choke, and oil injection. the oil injection and throttle cable both go to the same place. the oil injection is short and leads back to the motor. both the choke and the throttle cable lead back up toward the steering. just find the cable that leads from the steering to the same place that the short oil injection cable connects to and that is the throttle cable. make sure that there are no kinks and that the cable is in good condition (i.e. no rust, fraying). also check for these problems at the handelbars.

if its good, make sure that the butterflys valves in the throat of the carbs are not sticking. use a mirror to look in there while you press the throttle.

Quote Originally Posted by mibunkerking View Post
    thats dangerous man. i wouldn't let anyone ride them again till you get it fixed.

i am going to assume it is the gtx in your sig thats acting up. there are three cables that go to the carbs. throttle, choke, and oil injection. the oil injection and throttle cable both go to the same place. the oil injection is short and leads back to the motor. both the choke and the throttle cable lead back up toward the steering. just find the cable that leads from the steering to the same place that the short oil injection cable connects to and that is the throttle cable. make sure that there are no kinks and that the cable is in good condition (i.e. no rust, fraying). also check for these problems at the handelbars.

Not to be a smartass but on a 2000 it has the tps cable. It goes from the handle bar into the tps switch and the forks off into two cables. One goes to the carbs and one goes to the oil injection. You are right for the older skis with out the tps though.

As king siad make sure there are no kinks in the cable and spray some lube in the cable at the thumb throttle on the handle bar. You should also lube the throttle plates on the carbs as well.

Warner Robins, GA Home of the 2007 All-Star Little League World Champions!
    Remove the cable from the carbs and oil pump to determine if it's the cable sticking or the carbs' throttle shafts.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Kidd800XP View Post
    Not to be a smartass but on a 2000 it has the tps cable. It goes from the handle bar into the tps switch and the forks off into two cables. One goes to the carbs and one goes to the oil injection. You are right for the older skis with out the tps though.

As king siad make sure there are no kinks in the cable and spray some lube in the cable at the thumb throttle on the handle bar. You should also lube the throttle plates on the carbs as well.
    no offense taken kidd. i completely forgot about the tps. good call

Thread Information