Thread: Timing on 1100

Timing on 1100

I recently purchased a WaveRaider 1100 and had to replace the rear main seals. The crank case is apart now waiting for the seals and gaskets to come in. I have been searching around here and haven't found any information on the ignition timing. When I put the motor back together, is there anything special that needs to be done to ensure that the timing is correct? I am new to 2-strokes, so I wanted to ask before I made any mistakes with it. Is there anything else I should know before reassembling the motor? It has 250 hours on it. I ordered carb rebuild kits for it and a new diaphragm pump. The compression is 112/112/118 on the three cylinders. I appreciate any help and advice you can give and look forward to your response. Thank you.

United States
    timing is not an issue, the flywheel has a keyway on it. The pickup in the stator cover is triggered by the flywheel for firing.

Anderson, Indiana
    Crank seals bad...could mean crank is bad...and or backfire or water injestation...make sure you find out why you had to replace them.

It looks like there was water in the motor at one point as there is some rust on the rods. The main bearings look good though; there is no rust on them and it turns smoothly with no end play.

What else should I look for? I would like to do any maintenance or replace any parts it might need while its apart. It ran off of the fuel from the primer kit before I noticed the blown crank seal. I took apart the carbs and there was not a speck of dirt in them or in the filters, but I bought rebuild kits for them anyway since that seemed to be the consensus recommendation for a ski that has been sitting for a while.

Thanks for the help thus far; any other guidance or recommendations are greatly appreciated.

Anderson, Indiana
    Be careful when installing crank seals...the first print of the Shop manual shows them to be installed backwards....don't ask me how I know...

There was a revision that came out that shows the proper way for the 2 rear seals that I never got when I bought the manual.

I purchased a manual online and it does not show in any detail how to install the crank seals. Does anyone have a photo or explanation how to install them? Thank you.

Thread Information