Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 17
  1. #1

    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Danbury CT
    Posts
    76

    Helmet for recreational riding?

    Years ago I got thrown off my Kawasaki 650 X2 at 48MPH and landed on my right ear and it blew my eardrum out. For me the problem was compounded by the fact that no hearing in my left ear (Nothing totally deaf). The good news was my right ear healed back in about 38 days and there was no damage to the little bones and all so I got my hearing back.

    Now with my Ultra 260X I am going allot faster than before so am thinking about a helmet for a few reasons like of course protect to my ear and keep the sun from blasting me at high noon. Do any of you guys use a helmet for recreational riding at all? If so is there a particular type or brand of helmet you would recommend? Do they make full face PWC helmets? I kind of looked around but haven't really found anything. Any thoughts would be appreciated!

    2nGlenn


  2. #2
    Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    near Toronto, Canada
    Posts
    36,584
    +1
    1,272
    Have a look in the Watercraft Safety forum on Greenhulk.

    There are some good helmet threads already posted

  3. #3
    Speaking of hearing damage, during the spring when the water is cold I wear a wetsuit, gloves, survival suit head piece and footware. The headpiece keeps body heat in very well but has one big disadvantage. When you hit a wave the wrong way and get swamped in the face the water opens up the head piece at the face opening and creates a hydraulic pressure and that is forced upon or into your eardrums. This year I am going to use foam earplugs before wearing the head piece, to protect my hearing.

    I'd be afraid of ripping my head off my shoulders with a helmit

    rt

  4. #4
    http://www.geckoheadgear.com/extremesports

    In the UK Gecko helmet is very popular as they are are designed for marine use.

  5. #5

    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Danbury CT
    Posts
    76
    Quote Originally Posted by rotortiller View Post
    Speaking of hearing damage, during the spring when the water is cold I wear a wetsuit, gloves, survival suit head piece and footware. The headpiece keeps body heat in very well but has one big disadvantage. When you hit a wave the wrong way and get swamped in the face the water opens up the head piece at the face opening and creates a hydraulic pressure and that is forced upon or into your eardrums. This year I am going to use foam earplugs before wearing the head piece, to protect my hearing.

    I'd be afraid of ripping my head off my shoulders with a helmit

    rt
    I never even thought of that! That's the kind of info I'm looking for?

    Thanks
    Last edited by 2nGlenn; 04-04-2010 at 12:44 PM. Reason: typo

  6. #6
    Moderator DrewNJ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Marlton, NJ
    Posts
    3,716
    +1
    1
    I totally understand where your coming from. I have an inner ear bone deformation in my left ear so my hearing in my left ear is only about 20%. My doctor recommends ear plugs. Not only for the noise but to prevent exactly what your talking about with water pressure.

  7. #7
    nicjak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Warragul, Downunder
    Posts
    7,794
    +1
    625
    and i thought i was the only one 100% left, 50%> right

    Quote Originally Posted by DrewNJ View Post
    I totally understand where your coming from. I have an inner ear bone deformation in my left ear so my hearing in my left ear is only about 20%. My doctor recommends ear plugs. Not only for the noise but to prevent exactly what your talking about with water pressure.

  8. #8
    Dubz1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Southern California
    Posts
    2,509
    Since they sponsor me, I'll give them a plug. I would go with the Fly Racing Kinitic helmet. One guy in our club bought one, and he loves it! Its light weight, and cool graphics. http://www.flyracing.com/products
    Most of the guys on the team wear one of the upper level Fly helmets, and all of them really like it. Heck, even Shawn Alladio likes her Fly helmet, and she is very selective with safety selection. Check out the website.

    Oh, and yes, I ALWAYS wear a helmet with riding, and racing.

  9. #9

    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    mississippi
    Posts
    510
    +1
    1
    Well I don't know about rec riding. the added weight on your head and hitting the water just right could break your neck , but hitting the water period without one could do the same thing. If i did go with a skid lid I think I would want one that would provide some sort of air flow thru where it wouldn't hold water and be light too. It is food for thought.... never know when the time may come.

  10. #10

    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Danbury CT
    Posts
    76
    Quote Originally Posted by Dubz1 View Post
    Since they sponsor me, I'll give them a plug. I would go with the Fly Racing Kinitic helmet. One guy in our club bought one, and he loves it! Its light weight, and cool graphics. http://www.flyracing.com/products
    Most of the guys on the team wear one of the upper level Fly helmets, and all of them really like it. Heck, even Shawn Alladio likes her Fly helmet, and she is very selective with safety selection. Check out the website.

    Oh, and yes, I ALWAYS wear a helmet with riding, and racing.
    In the 80's I ran a 170 MPH Blown Gas Hydroplane, I used to wear a Lifeline vest with a parachute on the back of it. Everytime I see your Avatar I swear it looks like you have a Parachute on the back of it

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Helmets for Recreational Use
    By Phil in forum Kawasaki Open Discussion
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 04-07-2010, 10:08 PM
  2. Replies: 8
    Last Post: 06-27-2006, 07:58 PM
  3. Dad & I went for a ride today
    By Shibby1485 in forum Sea Doo Open Discussion
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 04-30-2006, 08:34 PM
  4. finally got a chance to go for a ride this weekend
    By mxl16 in forum 4-Tec Performance
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 04-01-2006, 07:22 PM
  5. How many of you wear a helmet for recreational riding ?
    By Kinchyle in forum Sea Doo Open Discussion
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 03-31-2006, 09:26 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •