Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Helmet for recreational riding?

Years ago I got thrown off my Kawasaki 650 X2 at 48MPH and landed on my right ear and it blew my eardrum out. For me the problem was compounded by the fact that no hearing in my left ear (Nothing totally deaf). The good news was my right ear healed back in about 38 days and there was no damage to the little bones and all so I got my hearing back.

Now with my Ultra 260X I am going allot faster than before so am thinking about a helmet for a few reasons like of course protect to my ear and keep the sun from blasting me at high noon. Do any of you guys use a helmet for recreational riding at all? If so is there a particular type or brand of helmet you would recommend? Do they make full face PWC helmets? I kind of looked around but haven't really found anything. Any thoughts would be appreciated!

2nGlenn

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Have a look in the Watercraft Safety forum on Greenhulk.

There are some good helmet threads already posted

Speaking of hearing damage, during the spring when the water is cold I wear a wetsuit, gloves, survival suit head piece and footware. The headpiece keeps body heat in very well but has one big disadvantage. When you hit a wave the wrong way and get swamped in the face the water opens up the head piece at the face opening and creates a hydraulic pressure and that is forced upon or into your eardrums. This year I am going to use foam earplugs before wearing the head piece, to protect my hearing.

I'd be afraid of ripping my head off my shoulders with a helmit

rt

http://www.geckoheadgear.com/extremesports

In the UK Gecko helmet is very popular as they are are designed for marine use.

Quote Originally Posted by rotortiller View Post
    Speaking of hearing damage, during the spring when the water is cold I wear a wetsuit, gloves, survival suit head piece and footware. The headpiece keeps body heat in very well but has one big disadvantage. When you hit a wave the wrong way and get swamped in the face the water opens up the head piece at the face opening and creates a hydraulic pressure and that is forced upon or into your eardrums. This year I am going to use foam earplugs before wearing the head piece, to protect my hearing.

I'd be afraid of ripping my head off my shoulders with a helmit

rt
    I never even thought of that! That's the kind of info I'm looking for?

Thanks
    Last edited by 2nGlenn; 04-04-2010 at 12:44 PM. Reason: typo

+1
    I totally understand where your coming from. I have an inner ear bone deformation in my left ear so my hearing in my left ear is only about 20%. My doctor recommends ear plugs. Not only for the noise but to prevent exactly what your talking about with water pressure.

+1
    and i thought i was the only one 100% left, 50%> right

Quote Originally Posted by DrewNJ View Post
    I totally understand where your coming from. I have an inner ear bone deformation in my left ear so my hearing in my left ear is only about 20%. My doctor recommends ear plugs. Not only for the noise but to prevent exactly what your talking about with water pressure.

Since they sponsor me, I'll give them a plug. I would go with the Fly Racing Kinitic helmet. One guy in our club bought one, and he loves it! Its light weight, and cool graphics. http://www.flyracing.com/products
    Most of the guys on the team wear one of the upper level Fly helmets, and all of them really like it. Heck, even Shawn Alladio likes her Fly helmet, and she is very selective with safety selection. Check out the website.

Oh, and yes, I ALWAYS wear a helmet with riding, and racing.

+1
    Well I don't know about rec riding. the added weight on your head and hitting the water just right could break your neck , but hitting the water period without one could do the same thing. If i did go with a skid lid I think I would want one that would provide some sort of air flow thru where it wouldn't hold water and be light too. It is food for thought.... never know when the time may come.

Quote Originally Posted by Dubz1 View Post
    Since they sponsor me, I'll give them a plug. I would go with the Fly Racing Kinitic helmet. One guy in our club bought one, and he loves it! Its light weight, and cool graphics. http://www.flyracing.com/products
    Most of the guys on the team wear one of the upper level Fly helmets, and all of them really like it. Heck, even Shawn Alladio likes her Fly helmet, and she is very selective with safety selection. Check out the website.

Oh, and yes, I ALWAYS wear a helmet with riding, and racing.
    In the 80's I ran a 170 MPH Blown Gas Hydroplane, I used to wear a Lifeline vest with a parachute on the back of it. Everytime I see your Avatar I swear it looks like you have a Parachute on the back of it

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information