96--700 slt runs great-wont re start

Starts in the morning---wont start at lunch--runs like new wednesday--wont start wed nite,, runs 60 mph as a new ski for 2 hrs thursday, then wont re-start for the rest of the trip. Ime going insaine-----Fresh carb re build , all wires checked--ALL wires checked , has spark , kind of weak spark in my opinion, great charged battery, all new fuel and oil, even a blast of starting fluid wont fire it up with a spark present on the plug in front of me with the plug out grounded on engine block. HAS THE ELECRTRIC BRAIN FRIED OUT ON THIS CHERRY CONDITION SKI ??? Ime ready to shoot it to death

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Two possiblities come to mind;

1) If it has the original ignition system in it, then it might be failing. The original 1996-1999 domestic engine ignitions are known to fail.

Polaris issued an Ignition Update Kit, which replaces both CDI and stator with upgraded parts. Highly recommended, cost is about $300.

2) Sometimes the CDI gets confused about engine state, and thinks it is running when it isn't. This results in a no-restart condition, until it has been sitting for several minutes (like 10 minutes).

There is a fix, which involves moving one wire in the electrical box from one terminal to another.

You can find more info on both here;
    Polaris Domestic (red) engine

It's a long shot, but it happened on my Hurricane. It could be that your stop/kill switch is intermittently failing.

It rain great on the trailer the day I bought it. Got to the lake that night and it wouldn't start. Got home and it started right up on the trailer....then it wouldn't. After tearing the e-box apart and being pretty much ready to order an ignition update, I probed the kill switch and found it wasn't opening when the lanyard is installed. Took it apart and cleaned it a bit. Still sticks every now and then....I just remember to press the stop button a few times when I connect the lanyard and it works great.

In short - check for continuity across the kill switch wires. Should be open with the lanyard installed and continuous from ground to the CDI when the lanyard is off or the stop button is pressed.

thanks K447-- loved your responce--it has the origional cdi as i can tell-says made in germany ,thin flat box,lots of wires, enough for a car. There are hairline cracks on it ,seemed like a plastic aging issue , not sure. I also read about the wire swopping in the box for this problem but it onley said it was for 2000 and up models?? The coils are only 40$ is that a good place to start or is the cdi so notorious that it would be smarter?

Thanks BGAIDEN i will take the kill apart and check it out,,I always kind of start with the simple gremlins first but went right by that switch, wouldent that be nice,,imberassing but nice.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Hanses View Post
    ...it has the original CDI as I can tell-says made in Germany, thin flat box, lots of wires, enough for a car.

There are hairline cracks on it ,seemed like a plastic aging issue, not sure.

I also read about the wire swapping in the box for this problem but it only said it was for 2000 and up models??

The coils are only 40$ is that a good place to start or is the cdi so notorious that it would be smarter?
    All Polaris domestic ignition systems were made by PVL in Germany, original and updated.

The wire change for CDI power applies to the older models. After 2000, they came that way from the factory

If it is the original CDI, then that is much more likely to fail than the ignition coils. You can check the coils with an ohm-meter.

Thanks again 447 well put, 300$ will hurt the budget at this time and i know it cant be returned , i wanted to troubleshoot best i could before i buy the cdi, ime sure its impossible to test one ,you just have to suck it up and buy one. Spring feever!!! its lake time!!

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Hanses View Post
    ...I know it cant be returned ...
    Testing is always a good thing.

If you cannot return it, you may be able to re-sell it on here for a modest loss

But I would advise installing it anyways - it is a better part.

Thread Information