Kinda Strange...any ideas?

I have to start with a little bit of back story give you idea why I did what I did.

So I went to the lake this weekend thinking I was just gonna hang with a friend and his wife and put on some new carbs. Instead, my girlfriend threw me a surprise house boat birthday party bash. Well, due to the fact I have a leaking driveshaft seal water gets in the hull and I have not had time to fix it. I usually run the bilge pump while I ride and pull it out between rides. I had planned to pull the engine this winter and get it all fixed. Night time comes around and I can't run the bilge pump all night so I ride it over to shore and pull it up on the beach backwards. The incline was a bit steep but not to bad..at least i did not think.

I woke up Saturday morning and went over to ride. I had a hard time starting the thing and it ended up killing the battery. The battery is old and I had to charge it during the week so I did not think much of it. Charged the battery for a couple hours and tried again. Same thing. Went and bought a new battery at the marina...same outcome. So I pull the plugs, now Saturday evening, and the front two cylinders pump out an ass load of water.

My question is this, it ran just fine the night before, could not being able to clear the boat out and putting it on this incline backwards cause the water in the water box to flow backwards down the pipes and into the cylinders? This is the only thing I can think happened. I got it to start yesterday and ran it on the hose to see if I had something leaking. All ran and looked fine. The compression is the same on all cylinders. I am not sure how much got in the crank case. I hope none at all. This is a tripple piped boat.

Why would you pull it up backwards? Wouldn't you pull the drain plugs and put it A$$ down so the water would run out?

Sounds like you let water settle in the air system (if it's stock) and water got sucked in from the get go?

+1
    If water got in the cylinders, then it got in the crankcase also.

im with RXPKILLER:

you had water in the ski, then you put the ski on a steep incline backwards pushing all the water to the front of the ski, when started it the next morning.

1: did you look at the water level in the morning before you started it?

2: the water was probably over the bottom of the carbs on 1 and 2, but not quite up too 3, hince water being in the front 2 cylinders.

confused,

James

+1
    I would try and get it running ASAP and get the water out of the case.

Pull all the plugs and turn it over (A LOT) Use your car bat if you can leave the car running. You should get new plugs also.

Quote Originally Posted by RXPkiller
    Why would you pull it up backwards? Wouldn't you pull the drain plugs and put it A$$ down so the water would run out?

Sounds like you let water settle in the air system (if it's stock) and water got sucked in from the get go?
    I pulled it up backwards because of the incline and the surface. we could not pull it up far enough to get the back fully out of the water. And it is not stock.

There was not enough water in it to cover the front two carbs with water when it was on the hill backwards. I put it back in the water and worked the pump and stuff around in the water as to get all the dirt and any rocks that may have been in there before I cranked it over. It was floating level before I cranked it.

I did get it started and ran it for about 5 minutes on the hose yesterday. The plugs are brand new and I pulled them back out after I was done so any moisture left in there would evaporate.

The front cylinder had noticably more water in it than the middle.

after reading through all of these I think I may have scene the error of my ways. Maybe there was enough water in it to cover the front two carbs. Who knows...just all seems strange to me. Next time I will pull it up front first. I did have a beach stand but the way the shore was it was useless.

Unhappy

You nrrd to IMMEDIATELY run it for a long time. Five minutes was not enough to get the water out and you will see internal rust by spring...

+1
    I would go run a full tank through it in the mid-range (it will run longer at half to 3/4 throttle).

Thread Information