Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Need help with rattling noise

On our 15F - it started rattling really loud under the rear bucket, in the exhaust area. Start it up on the hose and it doesn't do it for a few seconds, then a little, then a little more. It's pretty loud. I've ruled out the pump - the noise is def in that rear compartment. Mirror told me that he had an issue with the waterbox making a similar sound. I pulled mine out, thinking that I would hear something bouncing around inside it, but I don't. Of course, now it's too loud without the waterbox to determine if it's still making the sound.

Similar situtation

Sorry to jack your thread but I am having a very similar experience on my 250X:

I am experiencing a rattling sounds and a vibration in the rear of my '07 250X. It is only noticeable when the craft is out of the water and running (with garden hose attached of course). The sound and the rattling (especially the sound) is really obvious. I just took it to the dealer yesterday, thinking it was the pump bearings going bad (ski has 130hrs on it) since I am still under the Good Times Protection Plan Warranty.

Dealer basically said to wait until something fails and come back. Any thoughts on what might be causing this?

I'm going to put it back together and try to figure it out but...

Under warranty - I'd take it back to that dealer and force them to troubleshoot it and fix it.
    Unreal that they'd suggest you just head out on the water until something breaks - you'll be on the evening news for sure. Out on the water is no joke - it's more dangerous than people realize and to send you out with a ski that is not seaworthy is BS, IMO.

Good luck - I'll repost here if I find anything definitive.

Jeff

Quote Originally Posted by jfoster View Post
    I'm going to put it back together and try to figure it out but...

Under warranty - I'd take it back to that dealer and force them to troubleshoot it and fix it.
    Unreal that they'd suggest you just head out on the water until something breaks - you'll be on the evening news for sure. Out on the water is no joke - it's more dangerous than people realize and to send you out with a ski that is not seaworthy is BS, IMO.

Good luck - I'll repost here if I find anything definitive.

Jeff
    Yeah I was a little unhappy with the dealer's response. I am considering calling Kawasaki and seeing if they will agree with having it checked under warranty.

Let me know if you find anything out. Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by NaptownKawi View Post

I am experiencing a rattling sounds and a vibration in the rear of my '07 250X. It is only noticeable when the craft is out of the water and running (with garden hose attached of course). The sound and the rattling (especially the sound) is really obvious. I just took it to the dealer yesterday, thinking it was the pump bearings going bad (ski has 130hrs on it) since I am still under the Good Times Protection Plan Warranty.

Dealer basically said to wait until something fails and come back. Any thoughts on what might be causing this?
    Same with my '07 250. Mine has been making a rattling sound for a while, but I am not getting any vibrating. I would still like to know what that noise is. Sounds like it is coming from the driveshaft/pump/impeller area.

Edit: Found some info through the search. Looks like this has been going on from the beginning. I am still curious as to what it is. Take a look...
    http://greenhulk.net/forums/showthre...ight=noise+250

Quote Originally Posted by BC18471 View Post
    Same with my '07 250. Mine has been making a rattling sound for a while, but I am not getting any vibrating. I would still like to know what that noise is. Sounds like it is coming from the driveshaft/pump/impeller area.

Edit: Found some info through the search. Looks like this has been going on from the beginning. I am still curious as to what it is. Take a look...
    http://greenhulk.net/forums/showthre...ight=noise+250
    Nice find. Impros posted this on the thread you linked, could this be the problem?:

Quote Originally Posted by Impros View Post
    The seals on the Ultra 250 pump are letting water in, and will ruin the bearings. Both skis we've tested were getting water in the bearing cavity between every impeller swap. Every impeller tested ended up rubbing against the stainless wear-ring and is contributing to the noise. We're working on a better seal system for that pump.

Yeah but I just rebuilt the pump and it's doing this right away. Besides, I can pit my ear up to the nozzle to listen and it's not rattling from there. It's under the rear bucket, inside the hull that's emitting all of the noise.

+1
    im with the dealer as they all rattle when they are on the hose unless as you say it vibrates thats another story if you have never replaced pump bearings for 130hrs now would be the time to do some preventitive maintainence and replace them cheap insurance in my book

Quote Originally Posted by NaptownKawi View Post

Take it back to the dealer. Get a documentation of them refusing to do anything about it. Best test is to lift the motor and remove drive shaft, remount motor. Start motor without drive line and see if it still makes such noise. If they refuse to isolate the issue then leave with your paperwork stating this. That way when your CRANK CRAPS itself, you can kindly remind them you tried to avoid such issues.

I say this cause Ive seen this same issue "sound" just before a snapped crank. Rattling or bearing chatter at idle out of water, when reved it seem to go away until motor settled to idle again, then it came back. Just be sure your not hearing pump/prop rattle.

Your looking for this bearing.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	E1321.jpg 
Views:	229 
Size:	42.0 KB 
ID:	182482

Before everyone goes on a crazed hysterical rampage again. Its not anything Ive seen more then twice and Ive worked on over 50 units now. Most all for race purpose. We are rough on our stuff and this seems to be only a oddity not a norm.

+1
    dont discount the thru hull bearing.

it needs to be checked or I fear your motor will be toast if something in the drive line fails.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information