Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Strong vibration/shaking on FX HO ** Now w/Pics **

Well, since it's getting warmer now, I decided to tackle my '04 FX HO's vibration problem before the first trip out.

The back story is that, on the last trip of the season last year, my wife was riding the FX HO (cruising) and it developed a strong vibration or shaking at any speed higher than, say, 5 MPH. She stopped and I reached under to see if there was anything sucked into the impeller, but didn't find anything. I took it back to the dock (slowly) and onto the trailer. Looked at the intake and outlet of the pump and still didn't see anything. I decided I didn't feel like messing with it, so I just parked it for the winter.

Any tips for where I should start looking? All of the impeller blades look to be perfect, with uniform clearance from the tips of the impeller to the housing. The motor mounts seem to be solid. Is there some sort of damper that could have failed? Bearing? Or could it be an actual engine problem? I was planning on doing a compression test as soon as the battery charged.

** Update! **

I finally got the pump off and took some pictures of the impeller and wear ring area (right?). The wear ring area looks pretty much perfect. The impeller has a couple nicks on the leading corner of the blades (see the full resolution pictures for more detail), but I'm not sure that would be enough to cause the pretty severe shaking.

So unless there was a straw, cap or piece of sea weed trapped in there all the way to the boat launch and suddenly came out after I got it on the trailer and looked, there's a problem somewhere else.

All four spark plugs look similar (a bit on the black side, probably from all the idling since I last ran it hard, but uniform).

Click any image for the full resolution version.

Last edited by mega; 05-07-2010 at 07:40 PM.

Anyone? The engine seems to rev smoothly.

Is it common for the coupler that is between the back of the engine and the "partition" to fail?

+1
    I doubt there is anything wrong with the pump. Sounds to me that you have something between one of your prop blades and the wear ring. Possibly a stick, drinking straw. Something thin, either wood or plastic. The last time i had it happen i put ski on trailer and looked in and didn't see anything.

Removed intake grate and reached in feeling the blades near the wear ring and found half a 2" round plastic bottle cap wedged between blade and wear ring. The blade cut into cap. Had to use needle nose pliers to pull it out.

Take the 5 min and remove the intake grate and reach in. Follow each blade with your hand down to wear ring. Front and rear of the blade.

+1
    I'll agree with Kamikaze. Sounds like you have something on one of your blades. I've had the same thing happen to me. Ended up being a piece of wood the size of a tic tac stuck on an impeller blade. Look with a bright flashlight. I was lucky enough to have something long enough to knock it off without having to dismantle anything. I've sucked up a bunch of stuff, ice bag, old ski rope, fishing line, wood. It'll make some terrible vibrations. After the rope incident, I put a pocket knife in my dry storage. I ended up cutting one out with a jagged piece of metal I found on shore. It wasn't fun. LOL

+1
    if you can't see anything in the pump
    pull the pump out and then start the ski
    if the vibration has gone it is something with pump
    if it's still there look at the mounts or maybe look for holes in the side of the motor

kev

+1
    yes, drinking straws and milk/bottle caps are responsible for many dips into the water for me

I haven't had time to fully get the pump off (that thing does not want to come off without a fight), but I can't see anything in the impeller looking/feeling from the intake or outlet.

Bump!

I updated the first post with more details and a bunch of pictures.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by mega View Post
    I haven't had time to fully get the pump off (that thing does not want to come off without a fight), but I can't see anything in the impeller looking/feeling from the intake or outlet.
    did you also undoo the smaller 10 mm bolt on the side of the pump

kev

Quote Originally Posted by fx160 View Post
    did you also undoo the smaller 10 mm bolt on the side of the pump

kev
    I did get the pump off - pictures are in the first post.

Any ideas?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information