Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

2001 Virage TXI fast idle

Anybody have any thoughts or recommendations on a fast idle situation for a 2001 Virage TXI. It idles at around 5,000 RPM. I bought this as a winter project. Bored .020, new pistons, pins rings, etc. new fuel pump. I am guessing none of these would effect idle. I cheched the TPS. I am not much of a sparky, but here is what it read. the Ohm Meter was set at 200K ohms. the reading between the red and black wires from the TPS was 7.8. this did not change when the throttle position changed. between the Green and red. at idle it was 7.4 at WOT it was 2.2. between the green and black, it reads 3.3 at idle and 8.4 at WOT. The readings seemed to change smoothly with throttle. I could not start it when the TPS connection was disconnected. When running, I tried to disconnect it and it kills it instantly. I did notice that the sensor tab just barely catches the throttle body tab. It did not look like there is any adjustment to correct this. It also seemed like the TPS was rotated a bit from its 0 position when installed to get under the throttle body tab. I tried to see if I could run it with the TPS disconnected from the Throttle body and did not have much luck with this either.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    If it dies as soon as the TPS is unplugged, there might be a problem with the EMM

At idle position (which is not at the limit of rotation, as you have noticed), the output voltage should be well under 1.0 volts. The TPS is powered by 5 volts from the EMM.

You can create your own EMM Service power jumper, and power up the EMM without the engine running. See the links below for the details.

You can also check for Service codes using a simple LED device.

First off, make sure the throttle cable is properly adjusted. There should be a small amount of slack before the throttle plates move.

The TPS arm should have small plastic 'button' or nub bushing at the end. The throttle shaft lever then moves the arm via the plastic.

Polaris Ficht Fuel Injected Engines

How to read Polaris Ficht EMM trouble codes without special software or a computer
    When the Check Engine message comes on, the EMM stores special codes into memory.
    You can read those codes, and find out what the EMM thinks may be the problem.

Clearing EMM Service Codes using jumper or TPS cycling
    Note: the EMM may automatically clear old service codes after 15 running hours, if the same code has not re-occurred during that time.

Fast idle problem

The throttle cable play is per the manual. You mentioned a 1 Volt output with a 5 volt input. Which wires are in and which are out? I do not have any plastic on the tabs. Could that be it? If I was to make the serial cable, where can I get the software for a computer? I am assuming I could get the cable ends from radio shack.

+1

Arrow TPS connector, plastic cap, TPS testing

Quote Originally Posted by looker_ford View Post
    ...1 Volt output with a 5 volt input.
    Which wires are in and which are out?
    On the three pin TPS connector;
    Black is ground,
    Red is 5 volt power,
    and the center Green pin is the TPS signal voltage back to the EMM.

I do not have any plastic on the tabs.
    Could that be it?

If I was to make the serial cable, where can I get the software for a computer?
    I am assuming I could get the cable ends from radio shack.
    Your TPS should look like the photo, including the little black plastic cap on the arm.

Ohm testing the TPS can tell you if it is bad, but cannot really tell you if it is good. The reason is that when bolted to the running engine, vibration can affect the TPS. A good TPS will be stable on the engine, a bad TPS may test good on the bench, but still not work right on the engine.

I don't know if your TPS is good or bad, but if it is the original TPS, it would be a good idea to purchase a new TPS.

If the new fixes the problem, good. If it turns out your old TPS is actually still good, now you have a spare TPS, which is also good to have.

I don't think Radio Shack will have the Deutsch or WeatherPack connectors. The official Polaris software is only available to Polaris dealers.

You don't need the software or special connectors to read Service Codes from the EMM. You can use the documented LED method

Tip: Sometimes the individual pins in the TPS connector need a little tightening to ensure a really solid contact despite the engine vibration.

You can use fine needle nose pliers to slightly squeeze (deform) the metal sockets inside the TPS connector, thereby making the metal to metal pin connections more snug when plugged together.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P8180023.JPG 
Views:	47 
Size:	2.30 MB 
ID:	181754   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P8180022.JPG 
Views:	51 
Size:	2.24 MB 
ID:	181756   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P8180021.JPG 
Views:	55 
Size:	2.21 MB 
ID:	181757   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P8180026.JPG 
Views:	56 
Size:	2.10 MB 
ID:	181758   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P8180025.JPG 
Views:	56 
Size:	2.51 MB 
ID:	181759  

Fast Idle

I added a make shift button and put it on the end of the TPS tab. That did not make any difference. I went ahead and pulled the air and water temperature sensors and brought them inside to test them and eliminate any other possibility. they both read about 1000 Ohms at 75 deg F. So I think they are in OK shape. When I try to start it with the TPS unplugged, the red light blinks and the "Check engine" shows on the bottom of the display. When it is plugged in, it does not show this. How can I tell if I have any active codes. It does not say check engine when it is running. I did check the voltage incoming and outgoing. It is 5 VDC on the red. and at idle it is about 1.5 VDC on the green. It was mentioned that this should be below 1 volt, so I will go ahead and get a TPS just to eliminate it.

+1
    With the engine off and lanyard removed;
    unplug the TPS,
    check the ohms between the Black TPS ground wire and the battery negative post.

Should measure zero ohms, but I am suspicious that the TPS ground connection may be weak.

Ohm test

I checked the ohm test from the TPS connector that goes to the EMM to the battery ground. This read about 0.2 ohms, so I am assuming this is a decent ground.

Since you and the site have been a good reference, I was looking to purchase a TPS here, but I noticed they dont have Polaris parts. I am assuming this is because Polaris got out of the pwc business.

+1
    I checked the ohm test from the TPS connector that goes to the EMM to the battery ground. This read about 0.2 ohms, so I am assuming this is a decent ground.

Since you and the site have been a good reference, I was looking to purchase a TPS here, but I noticed they don't have Polaris parts. I am assuming this is because Polaris got out of the pwc business.
    4-TecPerformance (which hosts Greenhulk.net) does not sell OEM Polaris parts.

There are a number of online sources including PartsPitStop, Babbitts, Partsland, etc.

Ficht TPS versions, sources
    1999-2001 non-pigtail TPS, 2002-2004 pigtail TPS versions are not interchangeable

Fast idle problems continue.

I put a new TPS on and that did not fix the problem. I went ahead and made the led light set up so I could pull the codes. The only code that it gave me was 12 - Throttle position sensor circuit malfunction. I went ahead and removed all of the splice covers, removed the metal jump and made sure everything was making good contact. I removed all sensors and checked them out. Including water, air, crank sensor. All seemed OK. I removed the EMM, checked for broken pins, checked battery grounds, electrical box connections. When I had the EMM out, I noticed that it had a manufacture date of 8/17/2004, so it has evidently been replaced once before. The part number on the EMM is 4010415C, which appears to be the right one. Are these EMM's that fragile that they need to be replaced every few years. It seems odd that it runs as good as it does with the throttle body plates mostly closed, it does not seem to be running too rich, which I thought it would have. Anybody have ideas or suggestions.

+1
    ... The only code that it gave me was 12 - Throttle position sensor circuit malfunction.

I went ahead and removed all of the splice covers, removed the metal jump and made sure everything was making good contact.

I removed all sensors and checked them out. Including water, air, crank sensor. All seemed OK.

I removed the EMM, checked for broken pins, checked battery grounds, electrical box connections.

When I had the EMM out, I noticed that it had a manufacture date of 8/17/2004, so it has evidently been replaced once before. The part number on the EMM is 4010415C, which appears to be the right one.

Seems you were fairly thorough

...Tip: Sometimes the individual pins in the TPS connector need a little tightening to ensure a really solid contact despite the engine vibration.

You can use fine needle nose pliers to slightly squeeze (deform) the metal sockets inside the TPS [wire harness] connector, thereby making the metal to metal pin connections more snug when plugged together.
    Did you do this?

At this point, I am thinking you need to try another EMM, or send this one to DFI Technologies for checking and possible repair.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information