Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    It's not the destination, it's the journey!! Rip'nTear SHO's Avatar

Upgrading from Halogen to HID's......Legal??

I recently just upgraded my headlights and foglights to 4300k HID bulbs. I was amazed at how little cars with HID's would pull up next to me and have me fumbling for my headlight switch....wondering if my headlights were on

So I decided to upgrade....but there's a problem......what a frickin upgrade!!!!!

The difference in light intensity and illumination is frickin amazin.......so much so that you really can't stand in front of the truck and look at it.......it blinds you. The lighting is amazing......but every1 is flashing me and I'm wondering when I'm going to get a ticket.

Is it legal to have a HID bulb in a housing that was designed for a halogen? Or do you need a different bulb housing......projector housing....to utilize the HID legally?? Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated......

The vehicle is an 08 F150 with a 6" lift kit....thx in advance guys
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC01397.JPG 
Views:	24 
Size:	2.63 MB 
ID:	181760   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC01398.JPG 
Views:	23 
Size:	2.38 MB 
ID:	181761   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC01399.JPG 
Views:	31 
Size:	2.85 MB 
ID:	181762   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC01402.JPG 
Views:	24 
Size:	2.59 MB 
ID:	181764   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	projector housing.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	126.4 KB 
ID:	181765  

Or maybe the cheap alternative would be to throw some cheap, smoked headlight covers over it to tame it down.......

+1
    Maybe try aiming the headlights down a lil'? Should be able to do it w a screwdriver.

Quote Originally Posted by HAZE View Post
    Maybe try aiming the headlights down a lil'? Should be able to do it w a screwdriver.
    Yeah...thought of that...but when these things go on...they light up everything....bottom, sides, road ahead, tree tops, etc. It's difficult to explain......but it doesn't seem like an Aiming issue....more of a 'uncontrolled, radiant light' issue.....it's hard to explain with out you seeing it.....

But yeah....trying to point them down more couldn't hurt....esp considering the lift of the truck

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    What brand and model HID lamp kit did you install?

There are some differences between HID lamp kits, and beam pattern is the weakest aspect of many kits.

The 4300K color choice was smart, as it won't be so obvious (other than brightness) that it is a retro-fit

I recently upgraded my car headlamps, using the 55 watt slim-line 'digital' kits from www.retro-solutions.com

On my car, the resulting beam pattern is OK, but not great. Good enough to not be a problem for other drivers.

A good quality projector beam lamp retro-fit HID kit can provide an excellent beam cut-off pattern, but they cannot solve a too-high headlamp location.

Even with an excellent beam cut-off pattern, if your headlamp center-line is above the eyeball height of other drivers, they will be blinded by the light.

Downward aiming will only help a little bit, I expect.

If you can locate the headlamps lower on the front of the truck, then you can properly align the low beams for level pattern and good distance illumination, without blinding other drivers.

i think its just a problem with how high the lights are at the moment , in my 94 f250 with stock lights i always have somebody flashing there high beams at me thinking i have mine on , i can only imagine how pissed off they are when i really throw on my high beams

i would check your local laws and see if they are an issue

I put a set of 55w 6000k HID's in my 2005 Yamaha R6 streetbike...and I definitely know what you are talking about. Those things are INSANE! The high beam from straight on is blinding.

However, my headlights were already projectors and have a nice cut off line that is typically below eye level to oncoming cars.

I have not been messed with so far.

Only time you will have issues is if you blind a cop that is driving towards you. However, HID's have become pretty common these days and I haven't heard of anyone getting tickets for them lately...at least not around here.

+1
    No wonder there are so many accidents in Miami......they get blinded by all the hi-tech rednecks......

+1
    Chris,

Point your headlights down! from factory they are pointed up allot. My truck isnt lifted and when i installed my 10,000k 55watt hids i was blinding people left and right. Pointed them down and didnt make anyone run off the road haha\

through tinted windsheild

through tinted windsheild

flyin' the friendly skies airbornexp's Avatar
    +1
    maybe its not your HID's but the 6' lift thats causing people to flash their brights at you

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information