+1

Weird GPR Problem

2002 GP1200R. I was trailering the ski home from work on friday and while driving i kept hearing a loud beeping noise. When i got home, i found out the noise was my ski.On the gauge display, the tech is jumping up and down irratically, and there is the overheating temp icon on the display and the red warning light is on with the loud beep. There is no key on and it will stop for a few seconds, and then out of the blue start going crazy again. Anyone ever see this before?

+1
    my 1200r used to do that before, aparently the gauge had moisture in it cause short after that it went bad. sometimes while riding the ski it would start to beep also for no reason, i would punch the gauge a couple times and the beep would go away

+1
    I'm going to put the blame on moisture, too. These gauges are not very water-tight, and a little bit of water will make them behave erratically and eventually fry them. You might be able to save your gauge (and $200+ on a replacement). You can separate the front and rear plastics... there's a seam under the soft lip around the outer edge. I was able to cut it open with a utility knife. I dried off the internal PC board, cleaned off the salt residue and coated it with water-proof grease. I used Krazy Glue gel to re-attach the two plastic pieces. I re-installed it with a piece of thick foam rubber as a gasket between the gauge and the console. So far, so good... still dry and working.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by grumpy_steven View Post
    I'm going to put the blame on moisture, too. These gauges are not very water-tight, and a little bit of water will make them behave erratically and eventually fry them. You might be able to save your gauge (and $200+ on a replacement). You can separate the front and rear plastics... there's a seam under the soft lip around the outer edge. I was able to cut it open with a utility knife. I dried off the internal PC board, cleaned off the salt residue and coated it with water-proof grease. I used Krazy Glue gel to re-attach the two plastic pieces. I re-installed it with a piece of thick foam rubber as a gasket between the gauge and the console. So far, so good... still dry and working.

Great tip.

Thread Information