Question Need some advice on possibly picking up an Ultra 150...

Hey guys,

I have a 96 Polaris SL700 and have decided to pick up another ski so the wife and I can go out together this season. There is a guy down the street selling a 1999 Ultra 150 with 80 hours on the clock. His asking price is $2700. It has always been stored in a heated garage and never seen saltwater. I wanted to ask the experts what I should look for when examining this ski. Are there any issues I should know about for the 99? I see it is the first year for the ultra 150 so that makes me nervous.
    Actually Im nervous in general as I had a nightmare when i picked up my Polaris (complete engine and electrical rebuild). This time around I want something I can just buy and enjoy. Any info would be GREATLY appreciated!

+1
    I LOVE mine! I like it better than my airplane!

Nothing to worry about on the '99s except that early ones require expensive spark plugs. Sorry, I can't remember the serial number where they change plugs. The early ones had a different ignition box and cylinders. You can find detailed info here: http://ultra150.yuku.com/

http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/showthread.php?t=117883

Ultras are great skis. At 80 hours check the oil lines and the pump bearings...Ask if they have been replaced. If not, budget for those. The pumps need to be rebuilt about every 50 hours, and the lines usually start to dry rot and crack. At about 150 hours you should do a top end rebuild. Other than that, it should be good and reliable for ya.

This is how I run a jetski shop in the desert nmpeter's Avatar
    +1

+1 on the expensive plug issue

Quote Originally Posted by steve45 View Post
    I LOVE mine! I like it better than my airplane!

Nothing to worry about on the '99s except that early ones require expensive spark plugs. Sorry, I can't remember the serial number where they change plugs. The early ones had a different ignition box and cylinders. You can find detailed info here: http://ultra150.yuku.com/

http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/showthread.php?t=117883

you'll find some really good inforamation at the above link for U-150's

For $2700 that ski should look in mint shape.

Be aware that changing the drive shaft main bearing is a bit of a pain, and the part isn't cheap either. I had a guy with two of them fail within a few hours of each other. The ski can take water on quickly when the bearing carrier fails.

+1
    There was a '99 Ultra with 50 hours in our paper yesterday. Asking price was $3200 with trailer. I called and it was already sold. Not that I need another one, but...

Ultra

All I can say is once you ride the Ultra your gonna have a hard time convicing yourself to ride the 700 again. Theirs about a 20mph difference between the two.

Do a compression test and pull the rear cone off the pump and check for water inside. It will tell you if the seals and bearings are bad.

Thread Information