POLARIS SLT780 NewBee, please help!!!

So...I'm a prev boat owner, never owned a Ski. I've found a 1997 Polaris SLT 780 which owner states has never been ran in Salt Water, runs well, just needs a battery which I have to bring to him to test, and possibly new plugs. (PS what plugs do these use, possibly a service manual link?) Is there anything specific I should look for upon start? Is there anyway to detect major issues? I've got owner talked down to 600 dollars but want to know if it's going to be worth it as a 1st Ski? Are these units problematic? Constant Maintenance? Future issues that are not worth tackling? I've seen many posts on these Skis and is that because they constantly break down, or just due to 13 years old? Sorry for the abrubt borage of questioning, but I'd like to act on it quickly if it's worth it.

Thanks,
    Shinyside

+1
    welcome to the hulk!!

the ski takes ngk bpr8es's check compression should be 120-130 lb on all three. they should be 5% from each other.

search "fugi" motor on the forum, this is blue and the motor you will be looking at, do some reading on the slt 780 and other fugi related maintenance

also look in the jet pump threw the exit nozzle and make sure the stator is not chewed up and look threw the intake grate under the ski and get a look at the prop.

are you going to be test riding this? or just hearing it on the trailer?

$ 600 is a good deal if the boat is in good shape and the motor is solid.

does it come with a trailer?

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Welcome to the Hulk

Click the three links below for answers to most of your questions

Salt water means corrosion may be an issue. You may end up taking apart and cleaning the engine cooling system. The drive shaft and jet pump seals and bearings may be needing replacement.

Rust inside the engine crank case is the biggest worry. The primary protection against rust is fogging the engine with fogging spray oil after every ride, and certainly before letting the engine sit for more than a few days. Without fogging oil, there is more risk of rust on the steel roller bearings in the crank case.

If the ski was well maintained, then it may well be a good deal. Salt water just puts a big question mark over the whole thing, so you need to do a lot of checking, or take the risk of it turning into a 'project'.

I am thinking of buying a PWC. Any tips?

I just bought a Polaris PWC - what should I do?

Polaris SLT 780

Hey!!! Thanks guys! So to clarify the owner stated the Jet Ski was NOT ran in Salt Water, apparently ever. Under the seat revealed what appeared to be a very clean engine, some minimal, and do mean minimal paint corrosion was evident, no actual rust was seen anywhere. The underneath of the ski was clean and the Gel Coat seemed immaculate. Unfortunately will not be test riding it, just hearing it, and yes does come with a trailer, aluminum, in great shape, needs tires. Did not check the "jet pump threw the exit nozzle and make sure the stator is not chewed up and look threw the intake grate under the ski and get a look at the prop" as a matter of fact I'm nut sure what some of that stuff is so I apparently have some research to do. But thanks for the links, if all goes well I will hopefully try to get it started tomorrow. Anything I should look or listen for while running? Display panel? Should there be light smoking like boats? Also it seemed difficult to steer not running, is this normal? Also the Reverse/Forward lever, also difficult to select not running? Thanks again guys, and I appreciate the Welcome!!!

Thanks Again,
    Shinyside

+1
    The links I posted previously should tell you what to look for, and where

Stiff steering and reverse implies it needs some lubrication in the cables and pivot points. Possibly a replacement cable, hard to say without lubing it up first to see if it improves.

$600 with an aluminum trailer?

If the trailer is good, buy the package. Even if the machine ends up being parted out, you will at worst break even. Sounds like a decent deal.

You may still end up putting money into it, but it sounds like a decent entry price.

Good luck

Thank You

Well that sounds positive! Thanks for the links I'll be doing some research in the am for sure! Guess I'll swing by my local autostore get some plugs since thats the cheapest thing to replace, would the battery from my motorcycle be ok to start th Jey Ski w/ for now to make sure it starts? Guess thats about it, thanks for all the help!

Shinyside

+1
    Polaris PWC really like a strong battery. A weak battery can create mystery problems that go away as soon as a good battery gets installed.

If it was me, I would gamble that I am going to be buying a PWC one way or another, and go buy a new factory sealed AGM battery. It should be well charged right off the store shelf. If it isn't don't buy it.

If you can find one, buy an Odyssey PC625, or a Deka ETX16LM. Very good quality, strong batteries.

Thread Information