Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Summers Almost Here Modding MY GP12R for 1K

So i picked up my ski just at the end of last summer I didnt do much ridding bcuz I was just getting into it and learning the ropes for what and where to do things. Needless to say summer ended the water got cold things came up and blah blah blah. SO I got to take it out yesterday for the first time since September and it didnt disappoint. Started right up and hits 61-62 all day bone stock except for the premix conversion that was already done, now I havent done the waveeater clips, d-plate or fixed my accel pump prob that I have (only prob i have). So next week I am taking her to the shop to have all those things fixed, my ski has an unknow amount of hours on it but i am almost certin its under 100. Now the question is what can I do to get 70-75 mph in light chop and 75+ on flat flat lake water. I dont want a super water rocket cuz I am just not into it like that I have my soon to be boosted Lexus for that. BUT I want a fast enough ski that I can keep up and handles great. ONLY looking to spend 1K on just mods,I am not taking in to accout the work i am getting done next week because thats just precautionary things that I should have been done already. Is it possible to get the speed goals I have with just 1K ?Lookg for input and I know u guys have it Thank you in advance.....

Kevin

Tunnel reinforcment
    1200 or 800 grate for speed
    seal pump
    waveeater clips
    D plate

Thanks for the input and safety concern, just have a few questions on ur comment. like whats the difference between my stock grate and the 1200/800 grate ur talkin about sorry for sounding like a dumbass but I just dont get it yet ? what is the PPK ? and how much do I mill the head is there anything else required to do when i mill the head ?

+1
    Tunnel reinforcment
    seal pump
    waveeater clips
    D plate

Thats pretty much the must do's before you start modding

Quote Originally Posted by WATER WOODY View Post
    Tunnel reinforcment
    seal pump
    waveeater clips
    D plate

Thats pretty much the must do's before you start modding

lmao now I'm lost u changed up ur post. the waveeater clips and d-plate are already here just need to install. Pump seal, tunnel reinforcment also going to be worked on when they fix my hull (small crack on the underside keel) just trying to understand the 1200/800 grate thing

+1
    Thats why i changed it.....

+1
    Pump Plug Kit plugs to seal your pump.
    Your stock intake grate will toss you off, get a 1200 Riva/R&D or 800 grate for 1mph increase over the 1200 grate but sacrifice holeshot
    Buy a Jim's modded ride plate!!!!!!!!!
    milled head
    rejet carbs

Check out my thread on GPR1200. Its running 75mph in calm water streched out. In light chop on the seat 72-73mph. With only grand to work with though you can get it to about 68-70mph. You can PM me your questions.

http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/showthread.php?t=120353

This is a PPK- http://www.4-tecperformance.com/inde...roducts_id=153

+1

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Ronn25 View Post
    Check out my thread on GPR1200. Its running 75mph in calm water streched out. In light chop on the seat 72-73mph. With only grand to work with though you can get it to about 68-70mph. You can PM me your questions.

Agree with Ronn 100%..

Unfortunately a grand won't really see you making the speeds you're asking for..

Even with all second hand parts, it would be a real stretch to get much over 70..

Hmmmm lets count it out:.
    Used VF3 or VF2 reeds $300+ for 3's $200+ for 2's (maybe very slightly less on the 2's if you get lucky)

Milled stock head around $100-150, or a set of used 3 piece heads anything from $150..
    New head gasket $50+
    Used 14-20 solas concord around $100 -/+
    Used Riva or R&D intake grate $50-$80 (don't bother with an 800 grate you will hate the lack of bottom end hookup)
    Used Jim's FF plate or Island Racings mod4 plate $200-300

Then there's the carbs that WILL need to be reworked..
    Even doing them yourself there's a minimum of $250 on rebuild kits and jets plus needle and seats, springs etc..
    (at least you would be getting rid of your accelerator pump problem at the same time..)

Hmmmm.? that little lot listed above could maybe be had for the grand you have to spend..

I need to point out its not just a matter of throw money and parts onto one of these skis and expect big speeds..

There's a whole ton load of testing and fine tunning required to get the speed out of these ski's

There must be many many unsatisfied customers who've spent their very hard earned on stage this or that kits,
    Only to be 2-3 mph faster than they were before..
    For the most part its not the fault of the staged kit its the installation that was wrong or poorly installed..

Well Kevin
    Maybe just maybe with you're grand and some patients and fine tuning skills
    71-72 could be achieved

Gerry

Oh should add..
    Get a compression check done on your motor before you even think about modifying it..

Quote Originally Posted by Ronn25 View Post

Thank you Ron your gonna wish u never told me I can pm u with question because man I will be doing that. The 05 pump ur using thread intrests me ?

Quote Originally Posted by quadzilla View Post
    Agree with Ronn 100%..

Unfortunately a grand won't really see you making the speeds you're asking for..

Even with all second hand parts, it would be a real stretch to get much over 70..

Hmmmm lets count it out:.
    Used VF3 or VF2 reeds $300+ for 3's $200+ for 2's (maybe very slightly less on the 2's if you get lucky)

Milled stock head around $100-150, or a set of used 3 piece heads anything from $150..
    New head gasket $50+
    Used 14-20 solas concord around $100 -/+
    Used Riva or R&D intake grate $50-$80 (don't bother with an 800 grate you will hate the lack of bottom end hookup)
    Used Jim's FF plate or Island Racings mod4 plate $200-300

Then there's the carbs that WILL need to be reworked..
    Even doing them yourself there's a minimum of $250 on rebuild kits and jets plus needle and seats, springs etc..
    (at least you would be getting rid of your accelerator pump problem at the same time..)

Hmmmm.? that little lot listed above could maybe be had for the grand you have to spend..

I need to point out its not just a matter of throw money and parts onto one of these skis and expect big speeds..

There's a whole ton load of testing and fine tunning required to get the speed out of these ski's

There must be many many unsatisfied customers who've spent their very hard earned on stage this or that kits,
    Only to be 2-3 mph faster than they were before..
    For the most part its not the fault of the staged kit its the installation that was wrong or poorly installed..

Well Kevin
    Maybe just maybe with you're grand and some patients and fine tuning skills
    71-72 could be achieved

Gerry

Oh should add..
    Get a compression check done on your motor before you even think about modifying it..
    wow thats a long post but man thank you very much ur info is pretty good in helping look for a good price on my parts. I really really dont want to open up the engine to do head work or anything of that nature. I would like to do as much bolt on as possible i understand my carbs will need to be rebuilt soon and thats ok but dont really wanna do much when it come to the engine as a whole. If my speed goals cant be acheived without engine/head work then so be it but I really want to break in to the 70's. So well see how it goes. I will get the smalll stuff out of the way first (ppk,tunnel renif, waveeater,d-plate,grate,wedge) then go carb, reeds, jim plate etc. But let me ask u guys a question if I do buy heads is that just a bolt step just take my stock heads off and replace with new? Or i gotta buy other parts to go with it other than gaskets

modified ride plate, intake grate, Pump plug kit (look for the post about the DIY Alumilite stuff), and a good prop.

If you don't touch the motor I don;t think you need to rejet the carbs either. What's wrong with your acc pump?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information