Prohibido usuario
    +1

Any exterior painters here? Questions?

Need to repaint the exterior of my home. I have plenty of interior experience so I aint scared to tackle it. I have cedar board siding that appears to have been painted with a latex 10+ years ago. The major problem I am having is the knot holes have bled through and the HOA keeps sending letters that I need to pressure wash the mildew off my house. It is painted a light gray and the knots give it the appearance that it has black mildew splotches from the road. The paint is still holding up real well with only a couple of places that it has separated from the wood.

Would I be OK to pressure wash and scrape any loose paint and paint over the rest or do I need to strip all the old paint off? Any special steps since it is cedar? Best to use a airless sprayer?

This is what I love about Green Hulk no matter what the question there will be someone here who knows.

Kilz on the knot holes...scrape...(softly, because it's cedar) the peeling paint....there's bunches of good exterior latex on the market.

I like the acrylic...ceramic? paint...I think by cabot.

Prohibido usuario
    +1
    I didn't think about Kiltzing it but since the last paint job lasted 10+ years I think the Kiltz would be a lot of unnecessary work. The house was built in '82 so the paint may be that old. When I pulled a piece of paint off it looked like a single layer and I guess it's not cedar but maybe redwood or whatever they called it. It's not a dense wood like oak and it's not pine.

Prohibido usuario
    +1
    Just googled it and it is definitely cedar lap siding.

+1
    Go to a real paint store like Glidden/ICI they will hook you up. My pops worked at ICI if i talk to him this week ill ask whats the best product to use. But if you just go to the store and tell them whats up they should be able to help ya out. You can do what you want toget the chipping paint off. but if using the same kind of paint you shouldnt need to strip all that paint as long as it isnt to bad.

Prohibido usuario
    +1
    I'm planning on doing like Va said and use a acrylic latex. It is a shade or two lighter than battleship gray and I'm planning on painting it a brown with dark brown trim to make it look more like wood.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by NCHeel View Post
    I'm planning on doing like Va said and use a acrylic latex. It is a shade or two lighter than battleship gray and I'm planning on painting it a brown with dark brown trim to make it look more like wood.
    Yup VA got it kilz is the way togo.. But any shellac sealer like kilz would work.

http://www.kilz.com/pages/default.aspx?NavID=23

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Dockside View Post
    Yup VA got it kilz is the way togo.. But any shellac sealer like kilz would work.

http://www.kilz.com/pages/default.aspx?NavID=23
    +1
    You need to prime the knots with somethink like Kilz or they will bleed through again when you repaint. I have used oil based Kilz on old knotty pine paneling and it did the trick (old knotty pine paneling is notorius for bleeding through) You may even have to put 2 coats of Kilz on the knots but it will do the trick. Whatever you do, don't skimp on the prep or buy cheap paint.

Thread Information