ss wear ring ????

What are the up sides and down sides to installing the ss ring? What are other things I should do if installing also? thanks

+1
    well one down side is they are EXTREAMLY HIGH...and if a rock or trash from the lake goes through and the wear ring dont give the impeller might. I am prolly just going to go with the SS impeller. A wearring isnt that high, and it saves the impeller from being destroyed.

+1
    A stainless wear ring is the last one you will ever need to buy for your ski.

I would personally never run the stock plastic wear ring. Your performance will continue to deteriorate as the wear ring wears.

All other manufacturers use SS wear rings with no issues. Seadoo should start following their lead.

If you suck up something big enough to cause damage to the impeller you're going to damage the impeller anyway with a plastic wear ring.

Suck up something small like a twig with the SS wear ring you will chew it up and spit it out.... no damage. Do this with a plastic wear ring you will be buying a new wear ring.

The one draw back to the SS wear ring is over time the outer edge of your impeller will wear down. After a couple of seasons you will want to send it off to Skat Trak or Impros and have the outer OD welded up. They charge around $95 for this service.

Quote Originally Posted by Green Hulk View Post
    A stainless wear ring is the last one you will ever need to buy for your ski.

I would personally never run the stock plastic wear ring. Your performance will continue to deteriorate as the wear ring wears.

All other manufacturers use SS wear rings with no issues. Seadoo should start following their lead.

If you suck up something big enough to cause damage to the impeller you're going to damage the impeller anyway with a plastic wear ring.

Suck up something small like a twig with the SS wear ring you will chew it up and spit it out.... no damage. Do this with a plastic wear ring you will be buying a new wear ring.

The one draw back to the SS wear ring is over time the outer edge of your impeller will wear down. After a couple of seasons you will want to send it off to Skat Trak or Impros and have the outer OD welded up. They charge around $95 for this service.
    Thanks for the reply Jerry!!

+1
    I agree with Jerry. I put one in as part of my winter mods update.

Thanks to all of you. I heard that anyone with a SS ring should install the solid front motor mount. Is that somthing a rec user should do? thanks

+1
    My personal opinion is that stock is plastic to prevent drivetrain damage from smaller obejects that can get sucked up. There will be no "give" with a stainless one when a damaging piece of something is sucked up and the shock will be transferred to the driveshaft on up.

The plastic ring will have some give in it and theoretically will take the shock off of the drivetrain.

You have to learn to ride smart as well (staying out of the shallows and trying to look for debris when you can)

I could be wrong. The rings are super easy to be changed with the freezer method and can even be flipped to be used twice.

+1

Thumbs up

Yeah, good to hear, cause I`d hate to try and get this muther out. I`m glad I put one in. Never a prob.

Quote Originally Posted by alex_baker202 View Post
    well one down side is they are EXTREAMLY HIGH.......A wearring isnt that high

I love my SS ring! You'll appreciate the LACK of space between it and the impeller Fits like a glove!

Thread Information