Super Charger Question...

I just installed new metal Riva washers in my wifes RXT SC, it had 67 hours on it, when I took the charger off it spinned freely like 8 turns with just a flick, now after installing the washers it spins by hand but not as freely but it does spin, I made sure all was put back the same way it came out and torqued the nut to 22 pounds, is this normal or is there a problem?
    Thanks.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Tiburon View Post
    I just installed new metal Riva washers in my wifes RXT SC, it had 67 hours on it, when I took the charger off it spinned freely like 8 turns with just a flick, now after installing the washers it spins by hand but not as freely but it does spin, I made sure all was put back the same way it came out and torqued the nut to 22 pounds, is this normal or is there a problem?
    Thanks.
    is it istalled in the ski and you can spin it

Quote Originally Posted by Dockside View Post
    is it istalled in the ski and you can spin it
    No my bad before installed in the motor,

+1
    did you check the slip? 1lb of slip for every lb of boost is the rule.

So you where holding it in your hand it is spins free?..... Duh
    Put it in the motor and try. And if that is the stock impeller, I'm sure it dont put out more than 20psi. 22lbs is to much, what is your boost? stock?

No I torqued the nut on the end to 22 pounds like the manual says, I did not check the slipage, how do you do that?
    When you install new washers does it get a bit harder to spin the SC wheel?
    Last edited by Tiburon; 04-05-2010 at 11:01 PM. Reason: spelling.

+1
    while just replacing the clutches may seem ok (some may argue with what i am about to say ) but the SC should be completely overhauled every 100hrs remember they spin at about 40,000 rpms at wot and that takes a toll on everything you could loose the gear on the end of the shaft you should do a 08 update kit which is beefer send it to jerry get it completely overhauled it is just not worth going cheap the motor cost to much to replace IJMHO

Gotta love this sport! 05Limited's Avatar
    +1
    I just installed new metal Riva washers... when I took the charger off it spinned freely like 8 turns... now after installing the washers it spins by hand but not as freely...
    Thanks.
    Tib... If I read this correctly, you are going to be just fine. I think you are saying that after taking the SC out, you could grab the shaft by the nut/washers/gear (doesn't really matter), give it a spin, and it would move about 8 revolutions. Now, after replacing the clutch washers, and giving it the same spin, it will only turn maybe 6 revolutions. This should have nothing to do with your clutch washer install.

Most likely, as oil dissipated from the shaft assembly (and bearings) while installing the clutch washers, the shaft now no longer turns as freely. The only other thing that could have slowed the ease of revolution would have been if you messed with the bearings.

Now, clutch slip is a different matter, but it should not be confused with the ease of shaft revolution.

BTW... I sometimes spin the shaft by hand while placing the SC outlet up to my face just to feel the air. Not sure why, but I hope it isn't a gay thing... so does Annette!

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by 05Limited View Post
    Tib... If I read this correctly, you are going to be just fine. I think you are saying that after taking the SC out, you could grab the shaft by the nut/washers/gear (doesn't really matter), give it a spin, and it would move about 8 revolutions. Now, after replacing the clutch washers, and giving it the same spin, it will only turn maybe 6 revolutions. This should have nothing to do with your clutch washer install.

Most likely, as oil dissipated from the shaft assembly (and bearings) while installing the clutch washers, the shaft now no longer turns as freely. The only other thing that could have slowed the ease of revolution would have been if you messed with the bearings.

Now, clutch slip is a different matter, but it should not be confused with the ease of shaft revolution.

"BTW... I sometimes spin the shaft by hand while placing the SC outlet up to my face just to feel the air. Not sure why, but I hope it isn't a gay thing... so does Annette!"
    05LTD......
    I did the same thing when I had my SC out.......just think what it would feel like if the SC was spooling at 40,000+ rpms!!

Cheers

No I torqued the nut on the end to 22 pounds like the manual says, I did not check the slipage, how do you do that?
    When you install new washers does it get a bit harder to spin the SC wheel?
    anyone in regards to the testing ?

Thread Information