Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

951 Counter Balancer Oil Resivor??

While I was bored doing some more research on the 951's , Ive came across a site which states that the 951's have a special "oil resivor" for the counter balancer. It states it should be changed every 200 hours or so.

MY question is- My ski has only 41hrs on it. BUT the engine has been full of water TWICE due to the previous owner leaving it in the lake for months on end. I bought it last week, drained all the water out of the engine, lubed the cyls etc etc. Got it running and it runs GREAT. Rode it for about 30 minutes the other day and put it up. Ive never heard of this resivor. The website states my RXDI should hold 1.35 ounces of Jet pump synthetic oil. Or standard gear oil. Should I be worried as I am about my engine having a hole blown in the side of it like the pic on this website? Or is this "Resivor" completly sealed off from the rest of the engine which had water in it? Has anyone every attempted this with an engine in the ski?
    Check it out-
    http://www.seadoosource.com/reservoircheck.html

Work Harder, Millions on Wellfare Depend On Us! ultramaxracing05's Avatar
    +1
    The reservoir will stay free of water, it should not flood, its meant to keep the oil inside the cavity. Which is located behind the cylinders, on the opposite side of the carbs.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by ktyamaha36 View Post

MY question is- My ski has only 41hrs on it. BUT the engine has been full of water TWICE due to the previous owner leaving it in the lake for months on end. I bought it last week, drained all the water out of the engine, lubed the cyls etc etc. Got it running and it runs GREAT.
    Check it out-
    http://www.seadoosource.com/reservoircheck.html
    You have a problem with this engine , if water is left inside the crankcases and cylinders for more than an hour without being ran the bearings on the crank and piston's will have started to rust already.
    They start to pit on the bearing surfaces and eventually (anywhere from zero hours to 20 hrs) start to deform and fall apart.
    When this happens the bearings will be tossed about all through the engine cases and usually lodge between the rotating crank and the engine cases and will then explode the outer cases apart and then destroy everything else .
    If that doesn't happen the piston bearings (little ends) will lock up around the Rod and either punch a hole through the cylinders or the reeds.

So you have a time bomb on your hands it could be Ok for a few hours but if it water wasn't removed and ran hard for at least an hour after it is toast.sorry.

in some cases as the piston travels down to push the mixture into the combustion chamber the water can get pushed past the seals into the cavity, it's good to check depending on how much water was in there

+1
    I have my 951 out and checked for the same thing, couldn't find the cap in my 951 Di If you ran it good for awhile after injesting water you should be ok
    http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/showthread.php?t=119891

I cannot tell you exatly how long water was in the engine for. The lady I bought it from gave me every bit of paper work she had on the ski. Which included every service call she had done on the ski. She purchased it new, and only used it every 3 or 4 months. It sat in the lake on a floating dock its whole life, never had a cover on it. 2 Invoices had a no start condition, and was diagnosed with a bad battery and water in cyls. When i picked it up last week, it had been sitting for 2 years. First thing I did was soak the cyls in wd40 for 2 nights, then put some 2cylce oil in the cyls, new plugs, pulled the tank,flushed it, Put some Avgas with a 50:1 Premix and verified the oil injection was working properly Checked the compression (145psi both cyls at WOT) and she fired right up. Yes it smokes a little bit (Ok alot) but I would rather have too much oil not knowing the condition of the engine then not enough. Im kind of taking it through my own "break in" period. The ski only has 40 hours, which is VERY low for this year,but then again it has set up its whole life so thats not good either.No unusual noises, cooling system works like its supposed to, Only time will tell!

As far as checking this Resivor oil, I see that the 951DI has a nipple where the 951 carb engine has a plug. Although I Dont quite understand how to change this oil if I can even find the plug. Im assuming their is a hose connected to this nipple?

+1
    I bought my 98 XPL from a friend ( well sorta) He took it out and it took in water (driveshaft seal let go) And he supposidly took it right home and got the water out of it. When i got the ski, he filled the entire crankcase with oil...not sure if this was a good idea or not. Well, i took the motor apart, cleaned and inspected the bearings, bored/honed my cylinders, new top end kit, jetted my carbs, 15/20, etc. It ran very well for me, put on about 15 hours and not a problem. But in your case, 2 years not running scares me a little.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by ktyamaha36 View Post
    I cannot tell you exatly how long water was in the engine for. The lady I bought it from gave me every bit of paper work she had on the ski. Which included every service call she had done on the ski. She purchased it new, and only used it every 3 or 4 months. It sat in the lake on a floating dock its whole life, never had a cover on it. 2 Invoices had a no start condition, and was diagnosed with a bad battery and water in cyls. When i picked it up last week, it had been sitting for 2 years. First thing I did was soak the cyls in wd40 for 2 nights, then put some 2cylce oil in the cyls, new plugs, pulled the tank,flushed it, Put some Avgas with a 50:1 Premix and verified the oil injection was working properly Checked the compression (145psi both cyls at WOT) and she fired right up. Yes it smokes a little bit (Ok alot) but I would rather have too much oil not knowing the condition of the engine then not enough. Im kind of taking it through my own "break in" period. The ski only has 40 hours, which is VERY low for this year,but then again it has set up its whole life so thats not good either.No unusual noises, cooling system works like its supposed to, Only time will tell!

As far as checking this Resivor oil, I see that the 951DI has a nipple where the 951 carb engine has a plug. Although I Dont quite understand how to change this oil if I can even find the plug. Im assuming their is a hose connected to this nipple?
    This is not true. Too much oil is not enough gas. Not enough gas is LEAN. So, you are have effectively leaned out an engine that already runs so lean that it requires a case cooler where the carbed 947s do not. Most of the purpose of the DI system was to cut emissions and increase fuel economy. It does this by using less fuel since the computer is able to give it just enough to keep it from dying.

Note: A DI injects the fuel directly into the combustion chamber. This being the case, how, do you suppose, would all that extra oil lube the cylinder walls and the crank?

The oil resivoir for the CB shaft is in the same place for the DI as it is on the carbed 947. The DI has a nipple on the plug for a vent hose where the carbed does not. The nipple and vent is because, again, DIs are already running WAY hotter than a carbed 947. You service the oil in the same manner on both engines with the addition of needing to remove and install the vent hose on the DI.

If you want to change the oil with the engine installed you will need a syringe or some other method with which to suck the old oil out as there is no drain.

Haven't actually gotten around to changing the oil yet (still need a syringe) but since the vent is really hard to get at I went to the dealership and got the vent and seal ring . I figured I may drop it for one but also was able to figure out what size hose to buy. ended up buying two sizes of hose just in case. When I get the syringe I will take the size that won't fit on it back. Farm supply stores carry some pretty big syringes.The one I went to was out of stock. Im going with the syringe because I will be able to measure what comes out and I can just pour the new oil right into the syringe and push it in. From reading other threads you need to tilt the ski somehow to get the engine as close to level as possible. The pics he had were of a carbed ski so no air compressor in the way. Im hoping my arm will fit up in there when I go to attempt this. Its going to be tight. You should at least check the condition of the oil and make sure there is no water intrusion. Just my opinion .

+1
    ok, so if the engine is out, you drain it with gravity? And then how do you refill?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information