Need help..gp800r..please share wisdom

OK..so here is my situation.
    the ski is a 2001 GP800R.
    the ski wouldnt go over 4000 RPM,or about 48 MPH.
    the power valve servo wasn't working,so I replaced it,didnt help the problem at all,the power valves are now working,but no improvement.
    The compression is great,over 130 in the first cylinder,and 126 in the second,so fine there.

no warning lights on the display,and the ski runs near perfect up until 4000 rpm when it just simply stops climbing,it DOESNT feel like a computer cut off rev limiter,not saying it isnt,just that it doesnt FEEL like it..it climbs and accelerates normally to 4000 rpm and then just stays there.

did several holeshots next to an identical gp800r..and the performance was IDENTICAL until 47 MPH where he just continued accelerating and i didnt.

DONT KNOW WHAT TO DO!!! ANY SUGGESTIONS!

Manually open the power valves and check the top end. Disconnect the power valve electrical connector and spin the wheel open by hand. Go both ways and check the top end so this way you know you have the valve open correctly. The holeshot will suck but you will see if you get your rpms back on top. Also when was the last time the carbs we rebuilt, a very common problem that people neglect. They really should be rebuilt every third season or so. Start there and report back.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by scittb View Post
    Manually open the power valves and check the top end. Disconnect the power valve electrical connector and spin the wheel open by hand. Go both ways and check the top end so this way you know you have the valve open correctly. The holeshot will suck but you will see if you get your rpms back on top. Also when was the last time the carbs we rebuilt, a very common problem that people neglect. They really should be rebuilt every third season or so. Start there and report back.
    Good advice, try the above. If no change, you need to pull off the power valve covers ... if the pv shaft is rotating, that does not mean the pvs are working. They could be stuck, tops broken off, linkage broken, pin fell out, etc. PVs are the first and easiest thing to look at, pull the covers and check them out ... even if they are 100% intact, they will likely need a good cleaning as greasy deposits build up under the covers.

thanks guys..ill get started on all this first thing tomorrow and report back..my GOD this website is a life safer...

+1
    If the power valves check out OK, try this...

The fuel pickup (in the gas tank) has a little plastic flap at the end. It's a little trap door that pushes up as fuel is pulled into the tube. From what I've read, it's supposed to close if the ski bounces, to prevent the fuel from running down and out of the pickup tube.

The plastic flap is pretty flimsy, and warps easily. I had the same problem with my GP800R... the flap was warped, so I removed it and now I get up to full throttle.

Thread Information