Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

gp1200r topping at 54 - 58 mph Need advice

it has 300 hours on it. is there anything that could be causing the lost in speed like impeller, bearing ?????? Im getting a sound its not constant but sounds like a pinging sound by the impeller.

+1
    how many hours on the impeller
    more than likely some wasted thrust from large clearance
    bearings on the hire skis are good for about 400 hours
    so probable due for a change as well
    and i'm sure the linner will have some blisters so will need to be changed before you fit a new impeller

kev

+1

Having the same issue

helloo fellow members im having the same problem my 02 1200gpr is toppint out at 54-58 and i have a d-plate installed and a impeller dont know what size but is there... the only difference is that mine ski doesnt make any noise it rides perfect but i feel is too slow could anyone help me on what could this be i do notice that when i press my throtle all the way it doesnt make any difference that having it a lil more than half way is like my rmps dont change at having it at WOT ,,,,]

im super new to this so let me get this right.

1) i should change the impeller
    2) what bearing would i need to change? can i do it my self or will i need t or will i need to leave it to the experts?
    3) whats the linner?

Quote Originally Posted by Rt-HemiBoY View Post
    helloo fellow members im having the same problem my 02 1200gpr is toppint out at 54-58 and i have a d-plate installed and a impeller dont know what size but is there... the only difference is that mine ski doesnt make any noise it rides perfect but i feel is too slow could anyone help me on what could this be i do notice that when i press my throtle all the way it doesnt make any difference that having it a lil more than half way is like my rmps dont change at having it at WOT ,,,,]
    hey bro im from miami also!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! text me or call me 786-728-0102.

If your not doing something, its hard to screw up. stlouisramsfan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jankyxl800 View Post
    im super new to this so let me get this right.

1) i should change the impeller
    2) what bearing would i need to change? can i do it my self or will i need t or will i need to leave it to the experts?
    3) whats the linner?
    I would check compression just to have a reference point, 300 hours is alot... pulll the pump and look at the impeller and wear ring (liner)
    here are a couple pages to check..
    http://www.cajundude.com/jetpumpremovalwearring.htm

http://www.cajundude.com/techpagehome.htm

I would think he was talking about these bearings
    http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/showthread.php?t=41983
    Last edited by stlouisramsfan; 04-06-2010 at 06:23 PM. Reason: add more info

+1
    I would first check compression on all 3 cylinders ... then take the coupler rubbers off the PV couplers, make sure they are intact, then make sure the PV servo motor is working, then pull the covers off the PVs and verify they are all there, 100% intact and watch the servo motor push and pull them (and clean them out while the covers are off). It would really help to know the exact rpms it is turning too ... good rpms but bad speed indicates pump, impeller, intake grate broke or hanging down (or pump shoe). Low rpms would indicate a PV or two not working or broke ...

its getting up to somewhere in the 7100 to 7300 RPM don't remember exactly! the seems to have great power pull through fine, but after 5000 or so rpm's it seems to not speed up at more than 54 -58 mph

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by jankyxl800 View Post
    its getting up to somewhere in the 7100 to 7300 RPM don't remember exactly! the seems to have great power pull through fine, but after 5000 or so rpm's it seems to not speed up at more than 54 -58 mph

Based upon the answers that you are getting, it should be obvious to you that there can be a multitude of things that can potentiallyl cause your problem. That being said, we must have the most accurate information that you can give us to help diagnose your problem.

If you are using the speedometer (or dreamometer as some would say) or the tachometer on your GPR, then these are not going to help us. You must use aftermarket systems such as the Pet tach and an aftermarket GPS which gives mph. They are a must.

If you have high rpms, but low speeds, this could be indicative of a bad pump liner and/or a bad impeller, or a few other pump issues. If you have low rpms and low speeds, it could be engine problems, or exhaust pluggage.

We will not be able to help you unless you give us info that is fairly accurate though. A good tach and GPS will get you halfway there.

Also, tell us if the boat is stock or not.

+1
    Janky, does your ski have a D plate in it, or still a catalytic converter? Just happened to think that if you still have the cat-con in there, they often break up and plug the exhaust and that would fit your symptoms too ...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information