Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Intake grate advice needed

Ok folks I need your help.

Here is the deal, my RXP works great with a solas PPG pitched impeller until............

I try and pull two very large tubes with 4 teenagers behind. The drag is incredible. I cavitate real bad, and I have to feather them onto plane.

I am thinking that an intake grate will load the pump more at slow speeds when I am trying to pull those tubers out of the water better than the stocker. The purpose of the scoop grates is to load the top of the pump better right?

The impeller is asking for more water than the slow speed can provide. Everything is fine when i get on plane, but before I do, it is a bitch to get two of these monster tubes out of the water.

Do you think I would get good results from Riva's grate? or should I look into something else?

What say you?

He also needs Info on not getting Chapped nuts when he rides! LOL Its on Seadoo .net

+1
    I think the prop you are running has more to do with the cavitating under load than the grate. The scoop grates help keep the pump loaded in rough water. You should have plenty of water going to the pump when starting to pull a tube.

Richard

+1
    I am curious, what state lets you pull 4 people on 2 tubes behind a 2 seater pwc?

Nonstop, all day, everyday. 01xdime's Avatar
    yeah i was gonna say how bright is that? Not to mention i can't see how that can be good for your ski. Stop pulling people, that should solve the problem.

You can probably improve it, but your not going to eliminate the problem with that much drag behind the ski. You have to start slow and work your way up. Even with a new grate, you may not be able to load the pump fast enough with that much drag.

And when you start cavitating that badly, it can damage your impeller, pump and wear ring. My best advise is don't tow that much weight.

On a side note, you really shouldn't be pulling two tubes, let alone 4 people behind the ski. If something were to happen, there is no way you can transport all those people back to shore. In some places towing two tubes like that would get your ski impounded and a healthy fine imposed. Not trying to sound holyier-than-thou, it's just a safety issue.

I think this is pritty normal I have had to tow in broken skis and
    it is hard the get myself on plan along with the tralier it cavates badly
    due to extra drag I think you just have to deal with it start slow and then let it rip(Also watch out for big brother in my state you cannot pull anything behing an 2 seater)

In Minnesota you can pull 100 people if you want to. You just have to have a factory installed mirror, OR have a spotter, or both of course.

There is no law on having a three seater or any limit on the # of people you can pull at once.

Not an issue guys.......

I have a spotter on back, and if something happens, me and the spotter pull the person on the ski and go to shore.

We are talking about a pretty small lake here as well.

i dont tow anything or anybody on my ski if someone is broke ill go home and get my boston whaler and get them i live where i ride

+1
    I towed my 97 GTI home about 5 miles behind my RXP. There weren't any cavitation problems.. maybe I am just lucky? but I guess i'm not cuz my supercharger clutch broke 10 hours later.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information