Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Oil leak from PTO please opinions

can anyone tell me FOR SURE if it is normal oil coming out of the pto now that the driveshaft is out ?
    I have read each and every single thread but no-one seems to have analyzed it so deep. In my opinion if oil is coming out all the time from there, then the bearing will fed up with engine oil and then it will start leaking again. so is there any chance that somehting else is wrong or is it normal oil keep on coming out of there ? ESPECIALY when i tilt the trailer oil is coming out like crazy. (and in that matter, do you guys leave the trailer tilted after washing it ? and for how long ?)

I am trying to gather all the items I will need for my oil leak problem, so that I can have them in one order since shipping costs will kill me for having the items shipped in Greece, where I leave.

SO i would apreciate the most entousiasm about my thread. thx in advance

thank you so much.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1342.JPG 
Views:	229 
Size:	310.4 KB 
ID:	181996  

+1
    Normal.

can you be a little more analytical ?

also do you leave the ski on lift to drain water out ?does this make things worse ?

Kiwi spanner handler
    +1
    the pic as you show is normal and there is a lip seal (no spring type) in the end of the spline to keep to much oil going down the shaft and 2 orings that seal the bearing against the shaft itself.
    When the shaft has been out often the bearing slips out of the rubber boot or the orings get damaged causing a leak.
    When I take shafts out oil wont always come out as these engines move oil around the motor so there is'nt always the same amount in the pto housing.
    If everything is in place and it leaks the bearing is faulty as its internally sealed itself.
    When installed it need to be pulled back along the shaft as far as it will go it can sit to far forward and the orings dont seal on the shaft.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by jasonze View Post
    the pic as you show is normal and there is a lip seal (no spring type) in the end of the spline to keep to much oil going down the shaft and 2 orings that seal the bearing against the shaft itself.
    When the shaft has been out often the bearing slips out of the rubber boot or the orings get damaged causing a leak.
    When I take shafts out oil wont always come out as these engines move oil around the motor so there is'nt always the same amount in the pto housing.
    If everything is in place and it leaks the bearing is faulty as its internally sealed itself.
    When installed it need to be pulled back along the shaft as far as it will go it can sit to far forward and the orings dont seal on the shaft.
    Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by jasonze View Post
    in my case the oil was coming from inside the bearing itself. i post a new picture and you can see the oil pouring out. could it be that the previous owner had removed the shaft and as he pulled it out the bearing was damaged and pulled outwards creating a gap and hence oil coming out of there?

also can you explain to me again regarding the reinstalment of the shaft ? does it have a special procedure ?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1127.JPG 
Views:	184 
Size:	117.2 KB 
ID:	182005  

+1
    bump, just found out i have a similar problem. but the oil on my 04 rxp is dripping down the pto not the bearing. does it mean i need to replace the boot with the bearing?

the boot unfortunately comes as one part with the bearing. if you are leaking from the boot then you need to replace this part. be very carefull when locating your leak. I had to take many pictures wth my camera in ord to see exactly where i wasleaking from. it might not be the boot.if you are leaking from down under the pto it might be the gasket that connects the pto with the engine. this is very rare though, and best chances is that your boot is torn out for some reason....best of luck

+1
    didnt eplain my self to well sorry...i dont mean eaxctly under the pto its rigght under the boots closest to the pto. after removing the sc i saw that i was missing one hose clamp so hopefully that is the problem.

that is great. if it is not torn out just put a new clamp in there and you should be fine

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information