Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

717 gts barely starts and runs below idle

searched threw 20 pages and found nothing on this.
    i just fixed a gts for a friend, cleaned carbs, changed fuel lines, new reserve switch, had it running great they took it out in some heavy waves, on the way back in it just died would not restart. i drained the tank cleaned carbs again looked like water was in it. put everything back, i crank on it for a few seconds play with the choke and give it a little gas and it fires up but just barely enough to stay running for 5 to 10 seconds. its getting fire, changed plugs over and over, can the rotary plate crack or something like that? im lost

Quote Originally Posted by abarrassr07 View Post
    searched threw 20 pages and found nothing on this.
    i just fixed a gts for a friend, cleaned carbs, changed fuel lines, new reserve switch, had it running great they took it out in some heavy waves, on the way back in it just died would not restart. i drained the tank cleaned carbs again looked like water was in it. put everything back, i crank on it for a few seconds play with the choke and give it a little gas and it fires up but just barely enough to stay running for 5 to 10 seconds. its getting fire, changed plugs over and over, can the rotary plate crack or something like that? im lost
    also they just changed the battery but it is smaller than the actual battery that goes in there, like a 4 wheeler battery

and another observation the cylinder closest to the rear gets way hotter than the front one when running it on the trailer for 20 seconds. i can get it to fire up and run for a while but still not even at idle speeds and as soon as you gas it it dies

Do a compression test, or just pull the head and take a look.

Quote Originally Posted by Piranha Performance View Post
    Do a compression test, or just pull the head and take a look.
    woops forgot to mention checked it earlier and both have 140 even

flyin' the friendly skies airbornexp's Avatar
    +1
    take the gas cap off and see if that helps. you could have a plugged vent line.

Quote Originally Posted by airbornexp View Post
    take the gas cap off and see if that helps. you could have a plugged vent line.
    still no go. how strong is the spark supposed to be, i see beads of blue spark shooting out but doesn't look like much

+1
    are you trying to get it to idle by itself or will it not even run when you have your finger on the throttle? if its just trying to idle by itself...this may sound stupid...but have you adjusted the idle set screw? Maybe you have an air leak around the bottom of the carbs? IDK im just throwing out ideas.
    spark sounds good...Id at least throw a battery made for the ski back in it. it may not have enough CCA's to run the ski

i have to choke it and play with the throttle to get it to even run, and it runs below idle really rough for about 10 seconds and dies, ran fine all day long when i gave it back to them, they went in the lake hit really heavy waves and 3 minutes after it just died. idle screw is set, i took carbs apart and cleaned again but they still looked good,

is it possible the rotary plate is bad? or would it not even turnover if that was the case?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by abarrassr07 View Post
    i have to choke it and play with the throttle to get it to even run, and it runs below idle really rough for about 10 seconds and dies, ran fine all day long when i gave it back to them, they went in the lake hit really heavy waves and 3 minutes after it just died. idle screw is set, i took carbs apart and cleaned again but they still looked good,

is it possible the rotary plate is bad? or would it not even turnover if that was the case?
    the rotary valve cant go bad unless you bent it. if its off a tooth it may back fire...now that I think about it. you may want to check that but it still sounds fuel related. I wonder if your needle and seats are stuck or a spring is out of line. Have you gone back to the correct battery yet?

Quote Originally Posted by airbornexp View Post
    the rotary valve cant go bad unless you bent it. if its off a tooth it may back fire...now that I think about it. you may want to check that but it still sounds fuel related. I wonder if your needle and seats are stuck or a spring is out of line. Have you gone back to the correct battery yet?
    yep put the battery out my rx in there, same thing. im wondering if it fried something electrical, i have a buddy with a 96 gti im going to swap out the electronics in it and carb just to be sure, but even when i spray the carb cleaner in there it just kills it and is really hard to get it running.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information