Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Polaris SL750 Ignition Problems - No Spark

Hey everyone,

first off, hi, I am new to the site. A friend told me this is the place to go whenever you have problems with you ski.

I have a 1995 SL 750 that i am trying to get running. This thing has been kicking my butt for a couple years now. When i first bought it, it was a project ski, the motor came in a box. After I got it all put together and went to start it there was no spark. I would hit the started over and over and only get a few intermitent sparks on all cylinders. I went through and tested everything. Stator, coils, kill switch and even replaced the cdi. Just when I was ready to give up, a guy told me to check the crankshaft. I brought it in and sure thing, it was out of alignment. I put it back together and it worked like a charm.

Then last summer I was out riding and noticed that the thing was running a little funny. by the time I got back to the dock it had died. I had spark, but it was really sporatic and there was a teribble noise coming from the flywheel when i turned it over. I took the flywheel cover off to find that the nut had come off the end of the crankshaft. I got a new flywheel, put things back together and had very little/no spark, similar to when I first put the engine together. I torn the engine down to have the crank checked again, this time they said it was a little off, but nothing bad. So i thought maybe the flywheel had hit against the stator and wrecked it. I bought a "working" stator on ebay, just got done installing it. However, it didn't change anything. I get just a few sparks right when I hit the button every 4-5 times, otherwise nothing.

Does anyone have any ideas what might be causing this. Like I said, I hit the starter over and over and only get a few intermitent sparks. I have looked over all of the wiring and can't seem to find a bad ground or connection that might cause it. I am at a loss here, any advise would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance.

sounds like a bad woodruff key

I replaced the key when I put on the new flywheel.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    My guess would be a CDI problem. Can you find another CDI to try?

She likes the bike. But the ski gets her wet!!!! xlint89's Avatar
    +1
    Welcome to the Hulk coil.

Is the lanyard installed?

How good is the battery?

Have you ohm tested the Ebay stator?

If all tests well, replace the CDI.

Are you sure the woodruff key didn't slip out?

Did you Loctite the flywheel?

hey guys,

Yes the lanyard is installed. The battery was a little week when I tried it, but it was turing the engine over, so I should have spark, right? I tested the stator and everything looks good there.

As for the key, When I set the flywheel on it isn't slipping or anything, everything feels good there.

As soon as I get spark I will Loctite the flywheel. I wanted to wait until I know I don't have to pull it off again.

Unfortunately I don't have another cdi to try, I was hoping it was going to be something else. I am going to run through everything one more time before I try track one of them down.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by coilcw View Post
    ...The battery was a little weak when I tried it, but it was turing the engine over, so I should have spark, right? ...
    Not necessarily.

Polaris PWC really need a strong battery.

Put a voltmeter on the battery posts, and crank the engine. If the voltage is below 10.6 volts while cranking, then the battery is too weak.

I have several spare cdi's for the 750, let me know and I'll send one priority

She likes the bike. But the ski gets her wet!!!! xlint89's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by K447 View Post
    Not necessarily.

Polaris PWC really need a strong battery.

Put a voltmeter on the battery posts, and crank the engine. If the voltage is below 10.6 volts while cranking, then the battery is too weak.
    What he said ^^^^^^^

The battery really needs to be strong.

hey guys, thanks for all of the tips so far. I still haven't had a chance to go through everything to see why I am not getting any spark. Hoping to get to that this weekend. I just had another quick question. I had posted the same original posting on PWC Today. Someone said to make sure that the stator/flywheel/cdi were all from the same year. I was told that 94-95 were all interchangable? right now I have a 95 cdi and flywheel with a 94 stator. I kind of doubt it, but is this right?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information