96 900 zxi carbs on 1999 1100zxi need help

Have a few questions regarding my carb setup. I am trying to get rid of the cv carbs on my 1100. Got a set of 900 zxi carbs. Put in jets for 1100. Starts right up, but dribbles pretty bad at idle. Whats the cure for this? Carbs are very clean and look almost new. I teed the pulse line to hook up both pumps. Is that a big no no? I checked pop off and it was around 25ish. Bent the tabs a little and now is at about 30. Still dribbles the same. I looked at the little plastic check valves and they look good. Is this common on these carbs? Do I just double up on the check valves?

Have you posted about this problem before, it looks familiar? Anyways, what do you mean by dribble? Are you saying it is idling rough or not right or you saying the seat is leaking? If it is idling rough you need to adjust the idle screw which is location next to carb 1. Of course how your low jets are set plays in part in how it will idle as well. So if you don't have your lows set properly then you will not be able to set your idle properly. You can't set your lows if the pop-off is not adjusted properly as well. So it kind of a ladder effect. If it is leaking at the seat then you have a bad O ring you need to replace

SBT swears up and down it is ok to "T" the pulse line but I don't see how it could be.

Your pop-off pressure needs to be set depending on the size of the needle and the grams of the spring. Standard is 1.6 needle but as I have found out today some rebuild kits come with 2.0 needles. 70 grams 11 mm spring is the standard size spring. So if you have a 11 gram spring and 1.6 needle your pop-off needs to be 24 psi. If you have a 11 gram spring and 2.0 needle then your pop-off will be lower and should be set at 18 psi. So if you pop off is 30 psi you are to high. So you will need to adjust that accordingly to the numbers listed above depending on your set up. Once you get that set right then you can continue setting your low jets and idle, then high.

These are your stock settings for your tuning needles.

900 - Low Speed – 1-1/4 +/- ¼
    High Speed – ¾ +/- ¼

1100 - Low Speed – 1-1/8 +/- ¼
    High Speed – 1 +/- ¼

Now if you put larger then stock jets in those factory settings will be different as well if you are running aftermarket F/A. In which case you will probably need to run richer.

Jets are stock 1100 in 900 carbs. As far as I can find, the 900 and 1100 carbs are the same except for 900 doesnt have accelerator pump. What I mean by dribble is, with the flame arrester cover off I see gas dripping from high speed circuit at idle. I have low adjustment screws set at 3/4 turn, but still extremely rich on idle.

If they don't have an accelerator pump I really couldn't tell you. I would say it was leaking from the accelerator nozzles but if you don't have them then this wouldn't be the case. It is possible the o rings on the seats are bad and need to be replaced or your pop off is low like you are suggesting. Does it run fine, what do the plugs look like?

just by adding the 1100 jets into those older carbs isnt gonna work at all, the accel pump is there to feed the engine more fuel as needed ya know. your best best is to look up what the older 96 1100 zxi was running for jets not your 99. im sure youll find out those jets are gonna be much bigger.

lmk how you make out with this conversion i have a friend that is lookin to add filters but doesnt wanna run the risk of blowing up because those newer cv carbs are a pain

Stock jets in a 96 1100 is 78 for your lows in all three. Highs, front 125, middle and rear 120. 1.6 needle and 70 gr 11 mm spring.

Yes texan78 you are right on the stock jet sizes. That is what the carbs have in them.

Thread Information